problems with resolution

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimbo160

problems with resolution

Post by jimbo160 »

Really, i was cleaning my computer on my windows xp side the other nite, then shut down and went to bed. I got up the next morning, only to find i no longer had a boot to Linuxmint, along with my windows. I looked, and could only determine i had deleted, accidently, a windows root\system32\hal.dll file, and no longer had access to linuxmint. The only thing i knew to do, was uninstall linuxmint thru my add/remove in windows, and reinstall my linuxmint. That worked, and i again had dual boot on my PC. I had lot all the upgrades, and software i had downloaded, but since i am still trying to learn about how to use Linuxmint, i felt ok to start over again. Now, my problem i am heveing now, that i did not have when i first installed linuxmint, is the resolution. The highest now is like 800x600. that is not good enough for me. I have searched areas in forum, but i do not know enough about all the fileing system to follow the directions. I need something a lil simpler. I also see that my modem is not recognised, and i do not know how to make it, for, it also did not do this. Any help appreciated, Jimmy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: problems with resolution

Post by DrHu »

More context needed:hardware, software

In terminal, check
  • inxi -F
    --short list of OS detected hardware (Linux mint)
You may need to get a better video driver for your graphics card, or if it is an integrated type, like Intel, there may be some issues with it, depending on the Intel version being used (its chipset)
--in any case, you will need to provide some data for any person to be able to provide any answer/suggestion
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

\ -- Dylan Thomas /
--------------------------------------
\
\
.--.
|o_o |
|:_/ |
// \ \
(| | )
/'\_ _/`\
\___)=(___/

jimbo4221@mint ~ $ inxi -F
System: Host mint Kernel 2.6.28-11-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Main Edition
CPU: Single core AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (UP) cache 512 KB flags (sse3 nx lm svm) bmips 4810.45 clocked at 2400.00 MHz
Graphics: Card nVidia C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] X.Org 1.6.0 Res 800x600@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
Audio: Card nVidia MCP51 High Definition Audio driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.18rc3
Network: Card nVidia MCP51 Ethernet Controller driver forcedeth at port c800
Disks: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (27.3% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC WD2500JS-60N 250.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 7.4G used: 2.5G (36%)
Info: Processes 126 Uptime 1:10 Memory 203.3/938.4MB Client Shell inxi 1.0.6
jimbo4221@mint ~ $ --short list of OS detected hardware (Linux mint)

am not sure if this helps, but let me know, for a lot of the things, i do not know how to find.
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

looking at this, i see the 800x600, and do not know how to change that. On my windows side, it does not do that, only on linuxmint.
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

mmmmm, can you tell me how to work with this???"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server. "
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Hi jimbo160

Did you install the proprietary Nvidia drivers?

If not go to Menu-->Control Center-->Hardware drivers and select
and install the Nvidia driver.

If you have already done that, then follow this procedure
to edit nvidia-xconfig.
Run this command in terminal[Menu-->Terminal]

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig
and then log out and log back in.
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

:D .....thanks for the suggestion, for that is what i did. I went to control panel, and there was a message come up, i needed a different driver. I did what it said, and next time i come on line, it was good. thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”