Anyone trying OpenSuse 11.2 ???

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deleted

Re: Anyone trying OpenSuse 11.2 ???

Post by deleted »

Jump to which one?

I see that OpenSUSE is now primary KDE, not Gnome (so that weeds some folks out)
I ran OpenSUSE (11.1) for quite sometime (about a year) and it was quite polished. However, it did have inertia.
I develop Java, and the JDK in their repository was quite old. I know I could have installed it from Sun's site (which I did) but then the packaging system didn't "know" about it. I also toasted my system just updating a kernel.

It goes back to what I observed a while back... When you choose a distro, you choose a repository (unless you like compiling and making your own packages or hunting down pre-built ones).

Debian does lag once in a while, but not often. Having so many pre-built binaries (and rolling updates) lets me stay in the development area instead of the admin area.

-Hinto
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

That's probably what I am going to do. I am not a developer too and I appreciate very much what the whole Mint-team is doing. But if Helena will be released one month after Karmic Koala...I will wait for another 1 or 2 months before installing it on my system and just keep using Gloria a couple of months longer. It is also what a lot of Ubuntu-users are doing...and everyone is free to do whatever he or she likes. Installing right after release-date or wait some months to be sure the worst glitches are ironed out.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
fearless1012

Post by fearless1012 »

I had never used OpenSUSE before and was looking forward to the new release of 11.2. Then yesterday, I played with a Live DVD with OpenSUSE 11.1 w/ KDE. I didn't like it. Maybe because KDE and I don't get along. I find it more restrictive to get to what I want than in a Gnome interface. Anyway, then I read a review today not too favorable about 11.2 on its first day of release. It said even though they are solid in their applications, it still didn't have the Ubuntu and Mint's ease of use feeling. I might still try out 11.2, but my not-so-great experience on 11.1 mixed with some professional's mediocre reviews, this is more worth being sidelined for now.
atonz

Post by atonz »

I've been testing out the big distros as they've been released and got the final of OpenSuse tonight. Also have been playing with Mandriva 2010. I'm still fairly new to Linux (yet to make it my main OS) and enjoy distro hoping.

Being a distrohopper I dont have the money or patience to burn CDs and have enjoyed using Unetbootin to try distros with the full extent of my computer rather than 50% in Virtualbox (1gb ram:P). However with both OpenSuse 11.2 and Mandriva 2010 it refuses to work with Unetbootin. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Any suggestions?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have checked out the final release of OpenSuse 11.2, it is very stable. The one click multimedia install does not install everything, the user has to have some knowledge of what is missing and the naming convention of packages in the non-default repos. OpenSuse is noted for being very good with KDE and they did a good job with 11.2. I have been looking at OpenSuse from a quality stand point and I must say that they are very quality conscience. The 8 month release cycle gave the Developers time to fix the bugs and refine the system. The software freeze that kept KDE at 4.3.1 turned out to be a good decision because of the patches that were applied to it, they had 6 builds! The default KDE 4.3.1 in OpenSuse is more stable and bug free than most distros with 4.3.3 installed.

Something else of interest is the tools in OpenSuse. The system tools are seamlessly integrated into the system. What I mean by this is that the tools seem native to the system. I think that an inexperienced user might be confused at how to use the tools, the tools are built like a systems administrator would want them. The system is very configurable, even IPV6 can be turned off in Yast. I have read comparisons of the tools in Mandriva and OpenSuse, OpenSuse is the clear winner in this area.

OpenSuse 11.2 was worth taking the time to look at, they just changed to the 8 month release cycle and it really does seem to make a difference in my opinion. In a corporate environment OpenSuse would fair very well. Large corporations do not care about version numbers, they just want reliability and as few bugs as humanly possible. Now I would just like to know how the OpenSuse Developers patch things.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I'm tire-kicking 11.2 KDE, since I've been a long time KDE (3.5) fan... (tho not necessarily openSUSE). I've been in
Gnome/Mint since Mint 7 came out. When booting the openSUSE liveCD, I had no problems, etc, but then looking at the theme (yes I know you can change it) I ask myself, why? I can use Mint/KDE (tho there's no KDE 64 distro). Did openSUSE offer anything Mint (or Debian doesn't?) I haven't found so. Well, the 1 click install (but Mint has a similar thing). I was disappointed that 11.2 didn't have 1 click install for the NVIDIA drivers. Yes, I can download and install them myself, but that brings me back to Mint (and Debian). Debian provides the 1 stop shopping (25000 packages recorded on www.debian.org) and Mint provides tools that make admin/confg and day to day use just a pleasure to use.
-Hinto
fearless1012

Post by fearless1012 »

atonz wrote:I dont have the money or patience to burn CDs
I burn all my ISO's to a USB thumb drive of 4 GB big. There are very easy instructions to go by out on Pendrivelinux.com, if you have never done it before. I had downloaded an EXE file when I put Fedora on it a while back in order to make it bootable and now I use that EXE file in Window for all distros on a bootable USB drive. I can only fit one distro at a time so it won't complicate the system when I go try it out. And that's the neat part. I can test it right off the thumb drive and its is a lot faster than a CD and no need to install anything to my computer if I don't want to. Try it out.
atonz

Post by atonz »

fearless1012 wrote:
I burn all my ISO's to a USB thumb drive of 4 GB big. There are very easy instructions to go by out on Pendrivelinux.com, if you have never done it before. I had downloaded an EXE file when I put Fedora on it a while back in order to make it bootable and now I use that EXE file in Window for all distros on a bootable USB drive. I can only fit one distro at a time so it won't complicate the system when I go try it out. And that's the neat part. I can test it right off the thumb drive and its is a lot faster than a CD and no need to install anything to my computer if I don't want to. Try it out.
I've attempted some pendrive linux guides to have a live USB with no luck. I'll have to wait until they release a guide for 11.2
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Is anyone testing OpenSuse 11.2 gnome final???
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

midas wrote:Is anyone testing OpenSuse 11.2 gnome final???
Yeah tried it, nothing special.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I was not too crazy about OpenSuse Gnome. I did not like the new theme they used, too much black.... Lately KDE has caught my attention, I like the modern look and everything is finally coming together in KDE 4.There are some nice KDE 4 based systems out now.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I hate the stripes in the title bars with the oxygen/ozone theme... and that kopete doesn't support sipe.
I got addicted to gnome, nautilus-open-terminal, and pidgin/sipe since I've been in gnome.
BTW... I went to gnome when kde went to 3.5x to 4.
-H
nukm

Post by nukm »

Check the forums before install. Quite a bit of manual config going on to get wired and wired network, package manager up and running. Some folk never make it and I've never read so many inventive workarounds. On this box, those items are a manual config from the KDE live install and the DVD Gnome edition. Have to delete files, disable IPV6 via at GRUB and junk like that.

They'll likely get it sorted out before too long. Don't believe I've seen quite that level of hostility in the forums previously though. On both sides.

I'm not sure the 8 months helped that much. I'll put it this way - better hug your Mint devs cause you got it made in the shade with Mint!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Some are having problems with package management because of IPV6 in OpenSuse. The 8 month release cycle helped in some areas but not everything over all.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

idimitriadis wrote:I checked out Mint Linux 7 when my experience with Opensuse 11.1 and KDE4 became too tedious/hard for my taste/intentions.
Now I checked the new Opensuse 11.2 - KDE4 and I see a great deal of improvement (on both Suse and KDE4), it is a much smoother experience.
I wanted to sit back a little while and just have things work with Mint, and this was exactly what it delivered to me.
I cannot say it is such an "easy" experience with 11.2 (I had to compile from source some apps like Calibre, Verbiste, or the gtk+ file splitter), but I feel I grow to understand things better through these hurdles, it is stimulating to have to search and find things... especially when it works afterwards!
Many little things seem to have been thought towards a better average-user experience in Opensuse and the implementation of KDE4 is very good.
Why not test it out and see?
I feel I will like my stay with Opensuse now
If you like to compile in openSUSE open Yast and install the "KDE Development Pattern".

It's a large download but worth it IMO if you install from source frequently like I do.
edgeofthewoods
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edgeofthewoods »

Just did a test run in OpenSUSE. It is nice. As was said before Multimedia one click does not install all, Logitech webcams not to happy on it Lot of my normal things (Urban Terror My Webcam, WXCAM ) do not do well. The installer ROCKS once you get past the CREATE and EDIT partition buttons. For a home system, where lots of "nice" things need to be installed it is a bit much. But for a office desktop it is solid. Been spoiled to much by Mint for to long. It works and works well. My Gloria "7" KDE is as stable, as fast and as nice as the 11.2 SuSE.Without the headaches of tracking down that odd piece of Gstreamer or some obscure lib RPM. A vast improvement since the last time I used it (9.X or so) But not up to the standard of Mint 7

Chuck
Edgewood NM
A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear.

The Havamal

Return to “Chat about Linux”