checking for software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimbo160

checking for software

Post by jimbo160 »

I search for different things to use that will allow me to do things in Linuxmint, comparable to windows. I have had Linuxmint now for 4 weeks, and i have not found a satisfactory program, that will let me do things with a slide show of my pics, and videos, then burn them to dvd. I see this Virtual Box, and try to determine if i can use that. Has anyone had time with this program? Let me know. Jimmy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: checking for software

Post by grimdestripador »

burn slide shows to DVDs. I have seen this. could it have been DVDmaker or DVDcreater. Anyway it was meant for making home video dvds, and it was capable of making jpeg imgaes into an motionless MPEG steam (ie a slide show). My method was download all dvd creation apps in synaptic. Its not a feature often talked about, as one could theoritcally just make a MPEG file with jpeg images and write the MPEG file to a dvd themself.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

jimbo160 wrote:I search for different things to use that will allow me to do things in Linuxmint, comparable to windows. I have had Linuxmint now for 4 weeks, and i have not found a satisfactory program, that will let me do things with a slide show of my pics, and videos, then burn them to dvd.
..and i have not found a satisfactory program..
I wouldn't know what meets your satisfaction scale ?
  • Perhaps, if you had told us which Windows program was satisfactory for that purpose, we would have a better idea of the feature list for comparison..
Almost any dvd editor/ripper program can make montages or videos
http://stuphi.co.uk/wordpress/2009/05/0 ... e-vee-dee/

Almost any photo editor can assemble slide shows of pics (photographs)
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

I can take as much as 100 pictures i have downloaded from my camera, along with 25 minutes of videos, i also have taken with my camera. Combined them into a program, along with duration of the pic, and length of transission from pic to pic. I can put backgrounds and text into a title to begin program with. After all has been created, it can, from the program, be burned to a DVD, that can just be incerted into any DVD player that supports these formates. The programs i use most are, Sonic, Pennical, Photo story, windows movie maker, and photo stage. As far as my satisfaction, these will do all that i want, and not much complication. Mostly just dragging to add to program. These programs also allow me to take any music i put on my computer to be installed to run in the background, while the slides are being displayed. I wish someone could show me something withen Linuxmint that would allow me to do that. I am trying.
dequire

Post by dequire »

Check here. There's many to choose from.

removed/updates/category/Video%20Tools
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

dequire, have you used any of these programs? I am sure these are what i am looking for, and even tried to download one of them. I am very new with this Linux, and the downloads are from sourceforge, that i guess i will have to learn how to download from this and what to do with it when i get the download. The first program in the list put a folder on my computer, with a lot of folders withen it, and i need to learn what to do with it now. I appreciate the list you posted, and any info you have on makeing these work, would be appreciated. Jimmy
dequire

Post by dequire »

jimbo160 wrote:dequire, have you used any of these programs? I am sure these are what i am looking for, and even tried to download one of them. I am very new with this Linux, and the downloads are from sourceforge, that i guess i will have to learn how to download from this and what to do with it when i get the download. The first program in the list put a folder on my computer, with a lot of folders withen it, and i need to learn what to do with it now. I appreciate the list you posted, and any info you have on makeing these work, would be appreciated. Jimmy
If you install them from the removed website - they should "just work". The site uses apturl to download and install the packages. This is vertually the same thing as running an "install.exe" file on Windows. This also means you should see the installed program in your Mint Menu.

As for using any of those programs, I have not had occasion (yet) to use them. Good luck on your Linux Mint journey.
jimbo160

Post by jimbo160 »

I spent some time tonight, trying to make heads or tales from these programs. I guess i am just going to bookmark, and study on them as i try to learn. There is no simple way of doing this, unless you already know how, for, all the directions to download from get DEB, install DEB, and all the changes i would have to make, and all the codes i would have to put in, are totally confuseing to me, and this is just to download the program. I feel i would have to be some kind if aeronotical engineer to figure this out, so if you have a suggestion for me would most deffinatly help me out.

Return to “Beginner Questions”