How to unmount partition?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

How to unmount partition?

Post by 67GTA »

I wanted to delete my Ubuntu partition and keep Mint as my main OS.(Thanks to the developers) I tried to unmount /dev/sda2(ubuntu) and delete the partition with Gparted, but I get an error about it not jiving with fstab. If I edit fstab will it be overwritten after reboot? What steps do I need to take to stop Mint from automatically mounting the Ubuntu partition so I can delete it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

can you see it in your fstab file? it might be being mounted by mintdisk.

if it is in the /etc/fstab file just insert a # at the beginning of the line that refers to the disk.
now reboot and it will not be mounted.

OR

if mintdisk has mounted it and put an icon of it on your desktop, right click on it and choose unmount (or maybe eject).

now you can start gparted and delete the partition etc.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It is listed in fstab. I can easily edit fstab, but I wasn't sure how mintdisk worked. Does it read fstab, or have it's own config file? I didn't want to fight with mintdisk. I don't know much about it :( I tried to right click on the desktop icon and unmount it and got the fstab error. That was unusual, and thought maybe there was something I didn't know about.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I edited fstab and it did not mount after reboot. Ubuntu is gone. I have always used Ubuntu, I feel like I'm having an affair. :twisted:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Mintdisk only mounts FAT and NTFS. It reads fstab and if the partition is mentioned in any way, even as a comment, mintdisk will not mount it.
So you can control FAT and NTFS like this
Not in fstab - mounted by mindisk
In fstab as a comment - not mounted at all
In fstab as a normal entry - mounted by fstab - eg if you want to mount it read only
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Thanks for the lesson.

Return to “Other topics”