I want to avoid buying Windows 7 and use Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JF007

I want to avoid buying Windows 7 and use Linux Mint

Post by JF007 »

Yes I know all I have to do is not order that copy of Windows 7, with the new PC I am about to order and just install Linux Mint as the main Operating system, but I am a little hesitant as this is going to be for the family PC and they just want to log on, do there thing and log off, won't have any desire to learn much about Linux.

I have just used the live cd and it all seems just as simple to use as windows but am I going to have major problems getting hardware to work, like a wifi dongle, canon mp printer, hp photo printer, a cherry keyboard and an unbranded usb wireless mouse? as in windows it is all plug and play so can you get ANY piece of hardware to work with Linux Mint?

I really want to make the switch, so if anyone can help convince me its worth the switch and dispel any worries I have over switching to Linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I want to avoid buying Windows 7 and use Linux Mint

Post by Pierre »

as in windows it is all plug and play so can you get ANY piece of hardware to work with Linux Mint?
even in M$ *not* EVERY piece of hardware will work .. :)

So, in any linux O/S *not* EVERY piece of hardware will work either. :?

most hardware will work under Mint, but *not* all hardware.
so, you'll just have to try N see ....

also, in general, your family will be able just "login & do their thing" within Mint.

there are limits, and you may be unlucky enough to find some, but hopefully, No Showstoppers.

Give Mint a try & let us know how you went.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

so can you get ANY piece of hardware to work with Linux Mint?
The short answer is NO.

The more detailed response is that most hardware will work with Mint.

Here's an old link that I had dealing with some of the hardware compatibility issues:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

One option that you have is to go ahead and get the PC with Linux. After you've got your feet wet, install a virtual XP within Linux. I haven't done this yet so I cannot speak with any authority on the compatibility issue in virtualization.

-DataMan
JF007

Post by JF007 »

Pierre wrote:
as in windows it is all plug and play so can you get ANY piece of hardware to work with Linux Mint?
even in M$ *not* EVERY piece of hardware will work .. :)

So, in any linux O/S *not* EVERY piece of hardware will work either. :?

most hardware will work under Mint, but *not* all hardware.
so, you'll just have to try N see ....

also, in general, your family will be able just "login & do their thing" within Mint.

there are limits, and you may be unlucky enough to find some, but hopefully, No Showstoppers.

Give Mint a try & let us know how you went.
Piere every piece of hardware I order, branded or unbranded works with windows, and companies rarely mention if an item is Linux friendly, and because I order online I don't want to keep ordering items and have to return them.

I know if I log onto a site like ebuyer and order a budget keyboard, mouse, wifi dongle then it will just work with windows, but how do I know if its going to work with Linux, and if it doesn't work right away, will I be able to get it working by logging onto a forum like this and having someone provide me with advice on how to fix the problem?

If there are any previous window users who have switched to linux, would be nice to hear about their experience with not the user friendly side of the system, but getting all their hardware to work and if they was successful or unsuccessful.
JF007

Post by JF007 »

DataMan wrote:

One option that you have is to go ahead and get the PC with Linux. After you've got your feet wet, install a virtual XP within Linux. I haven't done this yet so I cannot speak with any authority on the compatibility issue in virtualization.

-DataMan
It sounds like my best option is going to be buy this pc, and install windows xp and linux mint and then I can experiment before making the full switch over.
Mike_3915

Post by Mike_3915 »

Hello JF

Here is my little windows - Linux story. Hopefully something will come out of it.

Around 4 years ago I learned about the world of Linux. I was told how Linux was much faster, more stable, and more secure than windows. I had Linux around 1 day and gave up on it. The reason being I found it hard. I had AOL, I found it was very difficult and complex for me to get on the internet, and the internet was a must. Around a year later I gave it another try, it worked, detected all my drivers (A lot better than windows). Even the internet worked well. Again it lasted a short time. This time it was that I constantly needed something from windows.

My third Linux attempt was a dual boot with windows. Which lasted around 2 months until windows had errors and I restored it using an image (which wiped Linux off of course) I was not bothered as being a windows user I rarely used Linux.

Skip forward to last Monday when my computer started running slow again, I decided to give Linux a new try, this was my first attempt with Linux Mint. Mint installed to my computer relatively fast, and the only driver I don't think it installed is my embedded web camera (though I am not sure it may have even done that). I have used Mint to write some software for university. And since Monday have spent around one hour on windows.

As for a preference, I prefer Mint to windows. But I would be very hesitant to remove windows. For a few reasons.
Firstly windows is the more popular. So friends and family use it, it is nice to be able to go there once and a while, to test software. Or refresh my memory on certain settings.
Secondly it is very popular in university, and probably industry. It is useful to be able to use certain software that may not be available for Linux (although Linux has a huge range).
Another point is that sometimes I want to show someone how to do something. Most people I know use windows, so it is advantageous to show them in windows how to do it.
Lastly, and this may only apply to me, I have certain things I rarely use. For example my printer sees usage once every blue moon. What is the point of setting it up on my Linux machine, when I can just switch to windows and use it

So to conclude I prefer Linux over windows (It is faster, nicer to use, and has a huge range of software for free) But wouldn't give up my xp any time soon for it. But my view right now is, why chose when I can have the best of both worlds. As for windows 7... Maybe I'll use that in 5 or 6 years or so...

Here is a quick link (clearly one sided) to look at the 2 http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmo ... ows-7.html

If you want to know if a device works, you can try the live cd.

Hope something in there helped

Regards

Mike
reaZon

Post by reaZon »

i've first tried Linux 3-4 months ago although i was afraid to do so and i thought i will spend years learning it just like Windows.but i gave it a lot of effort.ofcourse the first steps weren't at all easy.now i enjoy every second using Linux :) .
if you want to keep your family busy,then keep windows on your machine along with mint either alone or on a virtual machine .my brother doesn't like Linux because he likes to play games and it gets embarassing if a friend or family member came and wanted to use your computer if there isn't Windows on it :? .
so keep yourself on the safe side,have them both installed.
my hardware experience with linux is good until now.everything is working here.
JF007

Post by JF007 »

Mike & reaZon, top stuff and very helpful, it does make sense to have both installed and also it makes sense to stick with XP rather then just buy windows 7, i have ordered the system which comes with no OS, so will just set it up for a dual boot and hopefully Linux Mint will end up being the main operating system but always have xp if needed.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

JF007 wrote:as in windows it is all plug and play so can you get ANY piece of hardware to work with Linux Mint?
That is not always the case, it only seems so (even then there can be problems), as the OS comes with the hardware already customized and installed by the OEM.

If you do not need windows games running, then a VM (Sun virtualbox) enables you to boot and install applications, run the windows OS quicker, than if it was on a real partition, and instead running from a VM file on the host system..

If you need games, the only safe choice is multi-booting Windows + Linux, easiest if you put windows on the C: drive (first partition of first drive)
  • In order to get native mode support for graphics cards and any windows OS idiosyncrasies
http://apcmag.com/howto_category.htm?cid=198
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

JF,

Dual booting is the best idea for a new user, IMO. I still dual boot and I've been using Linux for over a year now. Even though I hardly ever boot into Windows, you never know when you might need to use that one proprietary program that you simply cannot get on Linux (for those of us with an iPhone, that program is unfortunately iTunes).

When setting up your dual boot, however, remember to install Windows first. It doesn't like to play with others, and can mess things up very badly if you install Mint first, then try to install Windows.
JF007

Post by JF007 »

Ok guys, comments noted, dual boot, install XP first, will set up pc to run as before in XP, then install Linux Mint as dual boot and see if I can switch over and get Linux Mint working and set-up for the family to use.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have installed Mint with Ubuntu and no problem. Mint divided up the drive with Ubuntu just fine, without me even trying.
I have never tried installing Mint with Windows. All that I read, Windows seems to cause issues, though your mileage may vary.
I have also used removable drives four nearly four years with no issues. Most people do not like that way. My way.

lex
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Pierre every piece of hardware I order, branded or unbranded works with windows
Wait until you lose / misplace that CD that came with the Hardware. Try installing that hardware, now. It's a right PiTA.

with linux, those drivers are built into the kernel, so you can't lose them.

Like any windows DLL file, if the developers change the contents of the DLL / kernel, then thats a right PiTA too.
& that does seem to happen... linux is not perfect, either.

Either way, I still think that Linux is better than Windows. :D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”