New Partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wob

New Partition

Post by wob »

Hello,

I believe that for some of you guys it is pretty simple question, but I have to ask.
Is it really necessary to make partitions only form LIVE CD? Is it anyhow possible to make new partitions from installed system? I will be very appreciate if someone can answer.
Cheers,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
metroid_maniac

Re: New Partition

Post by metroid_maniac »

Search the mintMenu for "gparted" or "partition editor". Run it, make any necessary changes and click "apply"
wob

Post by wob »

metroid_maniac wrote:Search the mintMenu for "gparted" or "partition editor". Run it, make any necessary changes and click "apply"
Thanks for answer, but I can't resized my partition in this way. As far as I remember, last time I made some changes, i needed to do it form LIVE CD. It would be great if I can do it with gparted, but it doesn't allow me to resize existing partition.
Cheers,
viking777

Post by viking777 »

but it doesn't allow me to resize existing partition.
Yes it does. One reason it will fail to do this is if the partition you are trying to resize is mounted. Right click it and unmount it first. Also if you are trying to resize a partition that is not at the end of your disk then not only the partition you are resizing, but all the higher numbered partitions must be unmounted also. Of course it goes without saying that you can't resize the partition you are running on. And if you have somehow managed to run gparted without it asking for your password first (unlikely but I have known it happen) then it won't do anything at all as it needs root (sudo) privileges. Lastly you have to have some free space to resize into if you are trying to increase the partition size.
metroid_maniac

Post by metroid_maniac »

So if you want to resize your Linux Mint and swapspace partitions, you need the LiveCD.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

You got it correctly. Get GParted Live and keep it for your "tool chest" of maintenance apps.

-DataMan
wob

Post by wob »

Thank you all guys. This forum is great. I have learned a lot about Linux Mint just reading here on this forum. All articles are very helpful, and you guys who are much longer on Mint are very friendly and have willing to help others.
As metroid_maniac said, I need LiveCD if i want to resize my Linux Mint partition. I just can't unmount my /dev/sda1/ partition.
Maybe I have wrongly ask a question. I need to resize Linux Mint partition (make 2 partition form one). Once again many thanks to all.
Cheers,

Return to “Beginner Questions”