[SOLVED]Can't copy to another partition . permission denied

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wob

[SOLVED]Can't copy to another partition . permission denied

Post by wob »

Hello,

please someone help. I have created another partition, actually I have shrinked Linux Mint partition and now I have two partitions /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3
When I select files on /dev/sda1 partition and try to copy on /dev/sda3 paste option is disabled. Same things If I just try to drag and drop files, I get message permission denied.
What is wrong? What should I do? Please of someone have a time to explain.
I have created this another partition to move and save some important files, before I do clean install of Helena.
Cheers,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DruKe

Re: Can't copy to another partition . permission denied

Post by DruKe »

If you open it through Computer, does it require root authentication to mount it?
wob

Post by wob »

DruKe wrote:If you open it through Computer, does it require root authentication to mount it?
It is already mounted. I can opet that new partition, and one folder is inside called "lost+found", it is also not accessible.
wob

Post by wob »

Huuuh, solved. I did right click inside that new partition and clicked on "Open as root" and after that I can copy files from Linux Mint partition. Huuuuh
DruKe

Post by DruKe »

If you will be using this for a while, you may want to understand how to mount the drive using the fstab file.
Glad you got it tho.
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

Cheers. Please add solved to the subject!
wob

Post by wob »

DruKe wrote:If you will be using this for a while, you may want to understand how to mount the drive using the fstab file.
Glad you got it tho.
http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

Cheers. Please add solved to the subject!
Thank you very much for your time. I will add solved to the subject.
Just tell me, did I do this in proper way?
DruKe

Re: [SOLVED]Can't copy to another partition . permission denied

Post by DruKe »

Sure did!

Cheers!
wob

Re: [SOLVED]Can't copy to another partition . permission denied

Post by wob »

DruKe wrote:Sure did!

Cheers!
Once again thank you so much. this forum rulez.
Cheers,

Return to “Beginner Questions”