What's the best habit for monitoring ink levels?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

What's the best habit for monitoring ink levels?

Post by WinXpNewb »

I don't think Mint 7 has an ink level monitoring app and I read in some old threads how they are unreliable.

If so, what's the best method of precaution for when printing 100+ pages on Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: What's the best habit for monitoring ink levels?

Post by altair4 »

WinXpNewb wrote:I don't think Mint 7 has an ink level monitoring app and I read in some old threads how they are unreliable.
Don't know about other printers but HP printers have an ink monitor for linux - It's the hplip-gui package. Once installed run hp-toolbox in terminal or HPLIP Toolbox from the menu. Don't know about other printers.

As far as reliability or accuracy of the notification all I can say is that the toolbox in Linux or Windows will tell you you're out of ink weeks before you really are out of ink. I think the driver developers got input from HP Marketing on that :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What's the best habit for monitoring ink levels?

Post by WinXpNewb »

Yeah, I heard about the ink detection and as soon as I did, I didn't bother finding out if there was a status monitor for my Epson printer/scanner since the model doesn't seem to be supported by mtink's database. (At least the one on Synaptic)

Problem is, how can you prepare for a loss of ink when printing manuals for example?

Return to “Beginner Questions”