Songbird issue in Mint 8 rc1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
klabs

Songbird issue in Mint 8 rc1

Post by klabs »

Hi all, I didn't post this in the rc1 bug thread because I'm not so sure it's a bug with the new release or not and didn't want to clog up that thread if it wasn't....

But any way, I did a clean install of Mint 8 rc1. One thing I do first is to uninstall Rhythmbox and install Songbird. The launcher for songbird shows up in the menu, but nothing seemed to happen when clicked. So I tried launching from the terminal and I come up with this error:

klabs@klabs-laptop ~ $ songbird
(songbird-bin:2272): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstdeinterlace.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstdeinterlace.so: undefined symbol: gst_video_format_parse_caps_interlaced
././songbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gst-0.10/gst/_gst.so: undefined symbol: gst_task_pool_get_type
Could not initialize GStreamer: Error re-scanning registry , child terminated by signal

I do this through apt-get in the terminal, so it's not a broken *.deb package or anything causing the issue. I have never had this issue until Mint 8 so I have no idea where to start trying to fix it. I'm having trouble deciphering exactly what the issue is.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Love Linux Mint and the tremendous job by the entire development team. I have turned 6 of my friends and family onto this awesome distribution and will continue to do so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Songbird issue in Mint 8 rc1

Post by Husse »

undefined symbol
To me that indicates an error in the application or possibly a missing dependency
Was this the version for Karmic/Helena?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

klabs wrote:Hi all, I didn't post this in the rc1 bug thread because I'm not so sure it's a bug with the new release or not and didn't want to clog up that thread if it wasn't....

But any way, I did a clean install of Mint 8 rc1. One thing I do first is to uninstall Rhythmbox and install Songbird. The launcher for songbird shows up in the menu, but nothing seemed to happen when clicked. So I tried launching from the terminal and I come up with this error:

klabs@klabs-laptop ~ $ songbird
(songbird-bin:2272): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstdeinterlace.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstdeinterlace.so: undefined symbol: gst_video_format_parse_caps_interlaced
././songbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gst-0.10/gst/_gst.so: undefined symbol: gst_task_pool_get_type
Could not initialize GStreamer: Error re-scanning registry , child terminated by signal

I do this through apt-get in the terminal, so it's not a broken *.deb package or anything causing the issue. I have never had this issue until Mint 8 so I have no idea where to start trying to fix it. I'm having trouble deciphering exactly what the issue is.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Love Linux Mint and the tremendous job by the entire development team. I have turned 6 of my friends and family onto this awesome distribution and will continue to do so.
How did you install songbird? I used Menu/applications/system/software manager/featured applications. I had a previous download of songbird using ubuntu where I had to use the shell to start it up, that sucked. Linux Mint offers it right out of their own installer. Mine works fine from a fresh install of Helena.
Vash

Post by Vash »

I'm afraid i have the exact same error when installing and trying to run Songbird

I've tried installing using the package manager, the software manager and aptitude.

Using: Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition

There are a couple of warning messages (Gstreamer related) when i try running Songbird from the commandline until it quits with this error:

hns

Post by hns »

I downloaded the latest version of Songbird as tgz from their website.
Unpacked it in my homedir and run it from there.
No prolems so far
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

I just downloaded the .DEB file and installed it with no problem, Wonder what's going on? I already had it in Mint 8 x86 and wanted it in Xubumtu. I've been experimenting to see what's faster; XFCE Hands down. Using it and Songbird, both, right now.
hns

Post by hns »

Well, i had problems today with songbird which i installed from tgz. CPU wents up to 50%.
I removed Songbird. Then i downloaded aTunes as deb file. CPU is now down.
aTunes looks good

Return to “Software & Applications”