Hard Drive Partitions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msavard

Hard Drive Partitions

Post by msavard »

Hi,

I have a laptop with 1 HD: 300 gig, split in 4 partitions:

sda1 ntfs PQSERVICE 10g
sda2 ntfs Vista 144g
sda3 ntfs Data 140g
sda4 ntfs nolabel 3.54g

I would want to resize sda3 to make room for Mint (15gig should be enough).

Can I just resize that partition without loosing the DATA on it ?
If yes, what software should I use (I dit it many times with PQmagic a few years ago and I never had problem and the data on the drive is nothing I would cry for if something goes wrong (mp3, games, etc)).

I have Gparted loaded next to me :).

Thank you

PS: Its a very noobish question IMO, thats why I am asking here instead of the install/boot section of this forum. Feel free to move it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Hard Drive Partitions

Post by dawgdoc »

msavard wrote: I have a laptop with 1 HD: 300 gig, split in 4 partitions:

sda1 ntfs PQSERVICE 10g
sda2 ntfs Vista 144g
sda3 ntfs Data 140g
sda4 ntfs nolabel 3.54g
Before resizing, defrag the partition and then back up your data.
Use either PQMagic or GParted, best if from a liveCD.

I'm pretty sure the max number of primary partitions you can have is 4. So, once you free up the space you will have to create an extended partition and within this create at least 2 partitions. /swap and / (root).
msavard

Post by msavard »

tx for the info, operations is already started (Live Gparted), but I feel that something is wrong. It is very long and it is moving both my vista/ntfs partitions ! (PQmagic used to take less than one minutes for a resize)

Well, I dont have any data that I really care anyway. I just didnt want to reinstall windows and all the updates again.

You know what ? Maybe Ill just stick with Linux anyway !

Yup, this is what I will do if I cant boot with Vista anymore, Ill just give a real shot to Mint. I have another computer with all I need , why not make a real test drive !

I should start a blog, write a book and get rich ! "How I discover Linux"

:)
mick55

Post by mick55 »

FWIW Vista partitions should only be resized by the
Vista Disk Management utility.

If 3rd party tools are used Vista loader will not boot the system.

Luckily there is a Vista recovery disk which will restore
the Vista loader in about 5 minutes.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-v ... -download/

It works perfectly, and I'd rather not mention how many times
I've had to use it.

Cheers
mick
msavard

Post by msavard »

well, the resize is done and Vista boot just fine and all my data are there.

Im in Vista right now testing the drives and Ill go back to the Mint installation in a few minutes.

PS: Everything in Vista is exactly the same and my Drive D: (Data) is 12g shorter now, was I lucky ? It took 2 hours btw.

I hope my next post will be made from my laptop/Mint.
msavard

Post by msavard »

it wont let me use my new 12g partition (between sda2 and sda3) , I guess Ill just reformat the all thing... (no more than 4 partitions !) I misread something probably.

Thats part of the game !
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

mick55 wrote:FWIW Vista partitions should only be resized by the
Vista Disk Management utility.

If 3rd party tools are used Vista loader will not boot the system.

Luckily there is a Vista recovery disk which will restore
the Vista loader in about 5 minutes.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-v ... -download/

It works perfectly, and I'd rather not mention how many times
I've had to use it.

Cheers
mick
Based solely on my own personal experience with my own machines and those unfortunate people who come to me with theirs :wink: the importance of the advice offered by mick55 cannot be overstated. Oh and mick55, thanks for the link. I didn't know a recovery disk was available. They even have one for Win7!
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

msavard wrote:I guess Ill just reformat the all thing... (no more than 4 partitions !)
You do not need to go that drastic yet.

I am not familiar with Vista, Check out what Mick55 said about using the Vista Disk Management Utility.

Likewise, being unfamiliar with Vista, I do not know the significance of you PQSERVICE or nolabel partitions, nor if they are both primary partitions or not. They may be vital to Vista, or one may be a recovery partition which can be removed.

About the number of Partitions:
If you only use Primary Partitions then there is a max of 4 partitions.

To get more than 4 partitions: Then you use 3 Primary Partitions and an Extended Partition. The Extended Partition can be subdivided into many logical partitions.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

hi msavard

Your unusable partition may be because of a situation similar to this
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=36118
You may be able to follow the same procedure I recommended there.
If not post a print screen of what you see in Vista Disk Management Utility.
and I will try and assist you.

cheers
mick

Return to “Beginner Questions”