Can't log in after install of Skype 2.1 - SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bouchardpie
Level 1
Level 1

Can't log in after install of Skype 2.1 - SOLVED

Post by bouchardpie »

Hello,
I'm new to Linux. Great so far, but I'm stumped with this problem.
The system reboots and gets to the login screen. I enter my uname and pword and then I get a black screen showing only the cursor. The desktop doesn't start. Just hangs there.

Hoping I don't need to do a re-install. I have a boot DVD, but I don't know what problem to look for... help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bouchardpie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't log in after install of Skype 2.1

Post by bouchardpie »

I seem to have solved this problem for the most part - myself.

I figured out how to get a terminal session at the login window. I then re-installed Gnome - and it worked. But one lingering problem is that the "mintMenu" didn't start, and it is not on list of available additions when i right-click the bar at the bottom and to to the "+ Add to Panel" area.

How can I get that back?
dawgdoc

Re: Can't log in after install of Skype 2.1 - SOLVED

Post by dawgdoc »

You may need to repost. Once you added the [SOLVED] to the title, there is a good chance that the smart guys are skipping over your post, not realizing that you had a second question.

Return to “Beginner Questions”