How do I remove Radeon video driver from console?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farna

How do I remove Radeon video driver from console?

Post by farna »

I was trying to solve some video problems with Wine and installed Radeon 9600 video drivers. Now I have a totally unreadable screen after boot. The driver was installed using the Mint Package Manager from the Ubuntu repositories (comes up in PM with the Ubuntu emblem), not using ATI Envy. I searched the message base and didn't find anything. I tried booting into safe mode and using the auto graphics repair, that didn't help.

So what I need to do is boot into the command line and remove the busted Radeon driver and revert to whatever generic driver Mint uses. I'm familiar with using a command line, but have no idea what to do under Linux. It's the xserver-xorg-video-radeon, version 1:6.12.1-Ubuntu2 (5th one down in the list). Apparently it's for newer Radeon cards, not my 9600.

Can someone post me a line for line command sequence to fix this? Another thought... if I reinstall Mint from the CD will it repair itself or will I have to reinstall all software -- will it be a fresh install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
farna

Re: How do I remove Radeon video driver from console?

Post by farna »

After a bit of searching I found where someone suggested reconfiguring xserver like this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That didn't help. Hopefully someone here will be able to assist me over the weekend.
farna

Re: How do I remove Radeon video driver from console?

Post by farna »

Never solved this problem! Well, I did solve it... by reinstalling Mint from the CD and losing all info on the computer.

Return to “Beginner Questions”