Mint like Ubuntu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
el-ahrairah

Mint like Ubuntu

Post by el-ahrairah »

Hi I made the change from Ubuntu Jaunty to mint so im new to mint but not linux. I had been sticking with Ubuntu since Intrepid but i tried to upgrade to Karmic online. This is when things went sour. Karmic was a big dissapointment for me everything was running slow I could no longer change the wallpaper Compiz was acting really crappy. I was mad because Karmic was getting so much hype and all I wanted was my old desktop back and I went through the long hassle to upgrade.
So many other people where reporting great experiences with Karmic not me. I don't know what went wrong maybe some bad packages or something. So I decided to install mint to see what it looks like and skip all the searching for codecs this time around. So I put ubuntu 9.04 back on my computer downloaded the mint image burned it and installed mint Gloria on my computer. So far so good I like the look its way nicer then orange and brown( I had my theme set to look like OsX before I lost my desktop I couldn't take the default theme)
Ok this is where I would like some help I want the bottom pannel to be on the top Like in Ubuntu and have AWN running at the bottom of my screen. I have awn running but it is blocked by the bottom panel. I have created a top pannel and manged to tranfer the main menu there and place a volume control applet and calendar applet there. But the wireless,updatemanger,and power applets are all still on the bottom pannel and I don't see them in the add to panel menu. I need to get them on too the top bar before I deleate the bottom bar. Does anybody know how to do this? Im sure there is an easier way then what im doing.
thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johonunu

Re: Mint like Ubuntu

Post by johonunu »

Right click on the applet, select "Move", and move your mouse cursor to the top bar and your applet will move there. Also make sure to unlock applets(right click on the applet and uncheck "Lock to panel").
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

You also could have just moved the bottom bar to the top. Right-click on an open space on the bottom bar, look in your Properties, and somewhere there's an option to choose the location of the bar. Change "Bottom" to "Top" and you're set.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

Mint Gloria has an excellent software manager ( ' mintinstall ' ) which you do not get in Ubuntu.
Mint Gloria will read video files with no problem, whereas Ubuntu generally will not read video files.

Return to “Beginner Questions”