Executables on Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrHu

Re: Executables on Linux?

Post by DrHu »

Rawb wrote:I'm at work right now so I can't offer more information than that, I was just wondering if I could get a running start on some possible solutions while I'm bored at work.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 61&start=0

More context needed:software
What exactly are you trying to use/install: drivers for which device ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

Rawb wrote:Well let me start off by saying I'm a n00b to Linux. I just did a fresh install of Linux Mint on my laptop, and I'm having some problems with the drivers. I expected this to happen. What I didn't expect was that the drivers would be executable files, and apparently those are incompatible with Linux (not surprising). Is there any way to install my drivers w/ the executable files? Like, convert them somehow to something Linux can understand? I read about a prog called Wine that runs Windows programs inside of Linux, but I'm not sure this will fix my problem.
Windows and Linux are totally different, you don't have to hunt for drivers etc or install exes, all of that is handled by the distribution. 98% of hardware works out of the box on modern Linux systems. What Hardware are you struggling with?

PS Wine is for running Windows programmes on Linux (e.g. Games, Office) and won't help you here.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

It looks like you should have nvidia graphics so once you are connected to the internet Mint will alert you to download and install the nvidia driver.

How are you trying to connect to the network? Wired or wireless? It is very unusual for a wired connection to not work out of the box while wireless often has issues. If it's wireless try connecting with an ethernet cable and see what happens.

Open a terminal and enter the following commands one at a time.

Code: Select all

lspci

Code: Select all

lsusb
Copy and paste the results into a post here. Highlight the terminal output with your mouse and then centre-click to paste.

Return to “Beginner Questions”