virtual box help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jude13

virtual box help

Post by jude13 »

hiya all.. a new-bee to the linux world and mint being my 1st... ^_^.. been crawling around google trying for a solution but havent been successful so far.. i have a asus 900hd netbook with linux mint 7 gloria installed... and put in the closed source version of virtualbox ... next i need to install either win xp/7 using a usb device into the virtualbox .. i did get a method on googling using VBoxManage.exe utility but the description is for a windows setup... how can i achieve the same in a linux box? a dummy guide if possible please?.... thanx in advance for any help :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: virtual box help

Post by mick55 »

Hey Jude don't make it bad
Try a PUEL version and make it better.

The OSE version of Virtualbox doesn't support USB.
It is possible to make it work but is probably
overly complex for a new user.
THe PUEL version is free and has built in USB support.
Uninstall the OSE version through Package Manager
and install the PUEL version from here.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

If you are using Linux Mint 7 Main Edition you want the
Ubuntu 9.04 ("Jaunty Jackalope") i386 version.

cheers
mick
jude13

Post by jude13 »

thanx mick55 for the prompt reply ^_^.. eh i meant i have the PUEL i.e closed source version with usb support installed ..but i aint getting the options to install windows with a usb device..the only options are cd/dvd drive and floppy drive.. the netbook doesnt have a cd/dvd or floppy drive .. i need a way to install windows into the virtual box via a usb... or am i missing something? :|
mick55

Post by mick55 »

You have to enable USB in the settings tab.
See my screenshot below

The Virtual system has to be powered off when you do that.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

You can also install from an ISO.
I usually create an ISO on my desktop of the O/S i want to install
and install from the ISO.
In settings you can choose an ISO file in the CD/DVD tab.

If your Windows files are on a USB you can make an ISO from them.

I don't believe you can install from a USB device.
jude13

Post by jude13 »

im the idiot and ur a genius mick ^_^ ... thanx for the screenie ... hav a nice day!
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

You also need to add yourself to vboxusers.

Click Mint Menu>Administration>Users and Groups, then Unlock, then Select your user>Properties>User Privileges tab, then check "Use Virtualbox".

A reboot is required.

Return to “Beginner Questions”