Searching For An Exact Phrase [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SeaCanary

Searching For An Exact Phrase [SOLVED]

Post by SeaCanary »

Is there any way to search for an exact phrase on the forum?

My experience is that one could enclose an exact phrase in quote marks. I.e., "change distros". Also I've found the option to do an exact phrase search in advanced searches. Neither of these seems to be the case here.

Dumb question I'm sure, but I can't find the answer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Searching For An Exact Phrase

Post by lagagnon »

No. Use Google instead, e.g. : "find this phrase" site:http://forums.linuxmint.com
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Searching For An Exact Phrase

Post by altair4 »

The search function in the software used in this forum ( and many others ) is peculiar.

To do what you want I use google's " site search " For example:

site:forums.linuxmint.com "Auto Mount Partitions on Boot"

If you use this a lot you could create a custom firefox search engine so you only need to enter the search arguments. Here's a HowTo on how to do that: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... it=+search

EDIT: OOPS, posted at the same time, sorry
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
SeaCanary

Re: Searching For An Exact Phrase [SOLVED]

Post by SeaCanary »

Thanks gang !

This will be a big help in allowing me to find my own answers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”