Two problems, Pidgin and reinstall

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Korey1989

Two problems, Pidgin and reinstall

Post by Korey1989 »

Okay, so I really want to update to 7, however I have two dilemmas. First off I have logs I can't afford to have deleted for Pidgin. I've read that they're in /.purple or something, however I can't find that directory graphically and I can enter it through terminal but I don't have any idea how to open it up to retrieve the file through terminal. Second off, I tried the Mint upgrade from 5 to 6 that you don't need to do a clean install, it's just some risky program that someone made. Of course me being me, I tried it. Now I have two problems because of this. First and foremost, I can't log in as root anymore. My screen turns white and nothing happens. Second of all I gave up on this update and decided to burn the ISO and do a clean install, however when I put the disk in and restart nothing happens, it just goes as if there was no disk in. Help would be appreciated, thanks! By the way I love Linux Mint, by far the most stable and user friendly distro that my ghetto Acer has ever seen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Roin

Re: Two problems, Pidgin and reinstall

Post by Roin »

The logs are saved in ~/.purple/logs.

You cant see them because the dot indicates that its a hidden directory (~/ <-- is your home directory).
In order to see it, open Nautilus and press Ctrl+h, search for the .purple directory open it and save the logs folder on some USB device, CD or whatever medium you have to your avail.

Greets,
Roin
Korey1989

Post by Korey1989 »

Nothing happens when I press control+H, although a search box does with Shift+H. Anyway nothing happens when I do it, I have the options "MD5Sum, Open as root, and upload"... There's also a tab that says "add, edit, duplicate, delete, and import/export.
Korey1989

Post by Korey1989 »

Okay I found them, but I don't know how to open them and save them to a disk...
Korey1989

Post by Korey1989 »

Like why can't I juts open an entire folder to look at it? Everytime I click okay it says no file selected then if I do select a file it won't open the .txt file, it just like turns off Nautilus
Roin

Post by Roin »

What?

You just right click the folder-> click on copy and then paste it to a Thumbdrive for example.

Ah and if you use KDE you might try Alt+.
If that doesnt help go to the view menu and activate SHow Hiddenfolders.
TO the problem with the disc, did you check the md5sum? Your ISO might be broken, which causes that you cant boot from it.
Please check that first.
Korey1989

Post by Korey1989 »

I'm not sure how to check that way. I have two disks of it, one freezes my computer after I pus in my password and stuff and the other just starts the computer normally. Also I got the log files onto the disks

Return to “Beginner Questions”