Ubuntu 9.10 installed and running well

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slogum

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 installed and running well

Post by slogum »

Any plans to make a Mint Netbook version like Ubuntu Remixed? :)
edgeofthewoods
Level 1
Level 1

Post by edgeofthewoods »

I hope that Mint waits a while before mixing 9.10. I have a copy of Ultimate Edition, while it runs great as in speed,a lot of things don't work. Logitech Quick Cam, in Mint 7 Plug and Play. 9.10 nope. Skype video in 7 Perfect 9.10 Nope.GRUB 2 Not bad but DON'T mess with menu.lst to rearrange things, NOt a pretty sight. Also with GRUB 2 40-50 secs to just get to GRUB. I admit Ultimate is not a true 9.10, but the issues I have found with it are spread across a lot of web boards including the Ubuntu forums. 9.10 is not ready for primetime. Kind of like Vista was not ready. Pretty but not functional.

Chuck
Edgewood NM
A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear.

The Havamal
nukm

Post by nukm »

Colonel Schell wrote:
My next distro hop will be to install Slackware, but not until I feel ready. I figure it will be a couple of months yet.

But I will always have at least one partition devoted to Mint, which I still regard as my 'main' distribution.
You might as well get after Slack, cause 2 months won't make a difference. Main thing is download the book and the documentation and read it. Also, brush up on lilo. Plan on putting lilo into the Slack /boot partition and then boot from your main distro by chainloading the Slack /boot partition. Otherwise, you are going to "learn" more than you want. :lol: If you depend on wireless internet, read up on it. You can find the Slack forum from the main website. Of course, you can boot everything from lilo but you might not want to change the other stuff. I would keep something else as the main go-to distro for awhile.

Hope you feel better soon. I'll get banned for using bandwidth talking about Slack. :roll:
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I installed Karmic a couple of days ago for one reason only - they have not chosen to remove the 'Mark all Upgrades' button from Synaptic, I also chose to use it as my first platform for ext4.

I don't like the way Ubuntu looks - never have - but that is easily addressed, and I really miss Mintmenu (but not as much as the "Mark all Upgrades" button!) so within a couple of hours I had all my favourite programs installed and had it looking half reasonable and so I guess I will be using that instead of Mint 8. I will continue to use Mint 7 though, and if anybody finds a way to get the missing button back on Synaptic I would go back to Mint8 straight away but not until then (OK I know it's petty, but that's how I feel about it!)

As for ext4, the only issue I have come across since using it was that my existing version of Clonezilla wouldn't image it, so I had to upgrade that. Can't say the same for grub2 which is just an unholy mess that takes Linux back about a decade!

I haven't actually put a stopwatch on it but to me Karmic seems to start a bit faster than Mint8, I will time it later on today.

EDIT. Mint8 63 secs Ubuntu 9.10 50 secs - that is quite significant, though I doubt it is anything to do with ext4.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Karmic wireless problems = Helena wireless problems. Same Ubuntu base, same problems, same solutions.
oscar799 wrote:I too installed Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix on a Dell mini 9.
[...]
One major snag though-couldn't get wireless to work.
You didn't try very hard. See below.
bobd13045 wrote:I had Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 working well on my Dell Mini 9. When I went to 9.10, I couldn't get my wireless network connection to work. I liked 9.10. It's too bad I had trouble with my wireless connection. Right now I'm running my the original 8.04 that came with my Dell Mini 9.
You didn't try very hard either.

The "glitch" with wifi on a Dell Mini 9 with a vanilla Karmic install is extremely well documented. A couple seconds on google, or just a search on the forums here, would have given you this exact fix:

Install Karmic
use WIRED internet
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source
disconnect WIRED
REBOOT (recommended, but may not be necessary if wireless comes up immediately)
connect WIRELESS
fearless1012 wrote:
On the original subject of Karmic Koala - I still have some issues getting the wireless to work. It worked beautifully in Jaunty.
It would really help if you provided some details on your hardware, and perhaps consulted Mint's wiki to see what appropriate first steps of troubleshooting you might accomplish. Saying you have "some issues getting wireless to work" is a pretty vague statement that is of no use for anyone who might be willing to help you.
Canadian

Post by Canadian »

I upgrade to Karmic and started having log in problems, like having to enter password and username 10-20 times before I would get to desktop, thunderbird would not filter junk and screen saver would not work so I did the fresh install and still the same issues. To me 9.10 seems unstable. I had ran Ubuntu/XUbuntu for years since Warty Warthog and this latest release (Karmic 9.10) was the only time I ever had any issues with Ubuntu/Xubuntu I was running the 64 bit version.

So I decided to try a new distro, I had ran Debian, Arch, Kanotix all the Ubuntu variants, in the past but stumbled across Mint when looking for a 'new' distro and the reviews were good so I installed (Main edition) and so far so good. I only installed it 23 hours ago but seems great so far. No bugs yet that I can find, everything works. I was able to add Deluge, DeveDe, VLC and other programmes I like and Thunderbird works as it should. Plus no farting around with flash either so that was a bonus. So I am a happy camper now :)
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Canadian wrote: So I decided to try a new distro, I had ran Debian, Arch, Kanotix all the Ubuntu variants, in the past but stumbled across Mint when looking for a 'new' distro and the reviews were good so I installed (Main edition) and so far so good. I only installed it 23 hours ago but seems great so far. No bugs yet that I can find, everything works. I was able to add Deluge, DeveDe, VLC and other programmes I like and Thunderbird works as it should. Plus no farting around with flash either so that was a bonus. So I am a happy camper now :)
Welcome! So now you have a great Linux distro that works, and you live in a very beautiful city. Life's good, eh? :mrgreen:
Canadian

Post by Canadian »

Yup very good. :D

Still no problems with Mint either. :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”