Virtual box - setup system on a separate partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikhou

Virtual box - setup system on a separate partition

Post by mikhou »

For some reason it seems to me that it would be a good idea to setup a virtual machine through virtual box in a separate partition. Would it really make a difference? Thought?

mikhou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Virtual box - setup system on a separate partition

Post by markcynt »

Not really sure what you mean by that but my XP virtual disk is kept on my backup partition.

Every time I install a distro I install VB as part of my new install routine and when I configure VB for XP I tell it to use that disk.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I have a "virt" partition for storing the disk images, it's as simple as making sure you have the right permissions on the partition and then setting the preferences to look to that partition for the machines and disks.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I have a separate partition which holds only virtual machines. I think it offers a couple of advantages. It keeps it safe and off limits when I install a new version of Mint and I can make backup images of the whole partition for safekeeping.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I'm still putting the VBs in the same partition as /home as I haven't figured out to the them into a dedicated partition.

which is probably a better idea - if I can figure that bit out.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

VirtualBox > File > Preferences > General > Default * folder

of course you have to set up your partition to be mounted somewhere first.

Return to “Beginner Questions”