Need a hand, live disk too slow

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Need a hand, live disk too slow

Post by psycosmyth »

Hey!
I need some more encouragement. I have had the toughest time trying to install Mint on my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1200 with a combo dvd drive and 256mb of RAM.
I have never been able to install any Gnome defaulted distro from a live disk, it takes forever or stalls. I have installed Ubuntu w/the alternate and Debian with the net install. I have tried safe graphics and all the other lighter boot methods to no avail.
I strangely had trouble with MintKDE. I burned Cassandra at a slower speed hoping it would make the image easier to read, it was a little better but it stalled too.
I have had it suggested that I install Xubuntu and Aptget it to Mint, I did and it was fine but not Mint. I am using PCLOS2007 now and it's OK, I even have Gnome going just fine. I realy miss the ease of Debian as far as compiling things from scratch and the look of Mint. I also love the comunity here, it's less hostile and Clem is a real people person too :wink:
I know this is not the first time I posted this issue but I have had some time to test the suggestions I had before.
BTW I installed Cassandra on my Desktop without even trying it, hey it's that good!
Bianca was nice too.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

I had a thought, could I copy the image to a flash drive using my desktop and then boot my laptop from the flash drive?
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

yes!
I have done this but not with cassandra yet.
I made 2 partitions on my 1G thumb drive, one 750MB fat32 and the rest ext2.
It runs as a live thumb drive.

but watch out that your system can boot USB.

check this out:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... +usb&t=138

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Can you add more RAM - or is Dell using its own version with prices sky high as Compaq?
As it is a older laptop the video card is likely to borrow memory so you don't even have 256 MB
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

ddr2, getting hard to find.
Yes it shares, cheap though.
I was anticipating the Xfce edition for this reason, thank you BlahBlah for your effort in that, it will happen soon enough, I'd love to work on it but that darn time thing :roll:
I may look into the usb option, ha, my ipod looks bored :idea:

Return to “Other topics”