Help, I can't login into X

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Help, I can't login into X

Post by scorp123 »

Izecson wrote: I think this happened because I change the file permission of my Mint's /home folder when I was running PCLinuxOS.
You should make sure that both OS installations at least use the same uid and gid (please go and Google this!) for the user account in their /etc/passwd or else you are asking for trouble. Sharing /home is not something I'd suggest to new users. There are many other things too you need to take care of, e.g. package versions, config file compatibility, and so on.
Izecson wrote: I type this in PCLinuxOS:

Code: Select all

chmod 777 -R /mnt/mintHOME
Never ever do that! Never execute a command recursively (-R) if you don't know precisely what it will do to your system! :roll:
Izecson wrote: How do fix this?
Good question. You basically gave certain permissions (execute bit on everything !??) to things that are not supposed to be touched in this way :shock: Why oh why did you do this ??? This is stupid, sorry to say so. :roll:

- Boot into Mint
- Login as your user
- become root: sudo su -
- go into /home: cd /home
- type this sequence of commands precisely as I write them here --- you are working as "root" now, there is zero tolerance for mistakes!!

chown -R yourusername:yourusergroup youruserfolder

=> this could be the all the same, e.g.:
chown -R eric:eric eric

Then let's correct the permissions (you should still be in /home):

find ./yourusername -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find ./yourusername -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

If this doesn't work you're on your own. What you did was very stupid. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Other topics”