no permission to use drive?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marty510
Level 3
Level 3

no permission to use drive?

Post by marty510 »

I wanted to use Braseros md5 "check disc" with my burner but get something to the effect of " no permission to use drive", how do I get it back so I can do a md5 check?

[edit]this was the case, here, in Mint 7 also
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: no permission to use drive?

Post by emorrp1 »

Check in "Users and Groups" (under admin) that you have permission to access the cdrom drive.
marty510
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marty510 »

Mint 8

sorry, I double posted this one.
I never really figured this one out. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at in "Users and Groups"
marty510
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marty510 »

I finally figured out how to "get into" "Users and Groups" and made sure the cdrom boxes were checked, but still no luck using "checkdisc"
feel free to move this to the right place, not sure this belongs in the Hardware Support area.
marty510
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marty510 »

bump
As usual, I'd just like to pass around some error checked Mint 8 discs to some Linux skeptics I know. I like to pass'em around like crazy when a new release comes out.
I may get criticized (or start an argument), but I'm not real hip on Brasero either.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

I don't know what the deal is with Brasero but those integrity checks are easy using md5sum in a terminal:

Code: Select all

md5sum /dev/cdrom /home/whatever.iso
Will output something like:

Code: Select all

06fc2f27f8352a2bac5516b86c020755  /dev/cdrom
06fc2f27f8352a2bac5516b86c020755 /home/whatever.iso
Even if the integrity is very slightly compromised those numbers should (to a very high degree of probability) be radically different.

See this for more.

Also, many swear by k3b for their disk burning activities.

Return to “Hardware Support”