Debian (testing) -- "b0rked" my Linux system

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

Debian (testing) -- "b0rked" my Linux system

Post by vrkalak »

I "b0rked" my entire PC system!!! :cry:

As you might remember, I built a Debian Squeeze (testing) from a net.install iso, downloaded via Torrent.

Then, I set about to Mint-ify it.

The guys on the Debian User Forums, told me that it could not be done, as Ubuntu/Mint while based on Debian, is not compatible with Debian. :cry:

Call me, stubborn :roll: So, I got my version of Debian 5.0.3-Xfce and added the Debian "Testing" Repositories. Then added the LinuxMint-8 Repositories and whatever Ubuntu Repositories were needed to support Mint.

Everything was downloaded and installed and it all worked for about an hour . . . . then I got a big 'error' message, across my screen. Warning: Fatal Kernel Crash Detected!!

I did everything I knew how to do, but it was for naught.
I could open Gparted but could not mount or change anything.
I could view most all the internal system files but couldn't change anything.
I could open a Terminal ... but when I would try to open any other file, it would again, give me an 'system-error' message ... in the terminal!!
I re-booted and the comp went to the infamous 'black screen'

Well, I have a Grub Rescue CD . . . opened it and the splash screen was 'blank'
I managed to get into the computer via a GrubRescue/Safe Mode and the Computers BIOS system.
The 4 Linux Partitions were there but I couldn't open any of them. The separate /home partition and all my files were 'intact' :P

So . . . I deleted everything and am now re-installing my Linux OS. . . . . . Oh, well :lol: Live and learn. That's the main motto of Linux/GNU . . . freedom of choice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: "b0rked" my Linux system

Post by lagagnon »

vrkalak wrote:I "b0rked" my entire PC system!!! ....So, I got my version of Debian 5.0.3-Xfce and added the Debian "Testing" Repositories. Then added the LinuxMint-8 Repositories and whatever Ubuntu Repositories were needed to support Mint.
There's your problem right there. Messing with other distro repositories is definitely a no-no. No wonder you borked the system. No surprises there I'm afraid to say.
vrkalak

Re: Debian (testing) -- "b0rked" my Linux system

Post by vrkalak »

Did I mention I was 'stubborn'?? :P

It was a good learning experience!! :mrgreen: I thought my computer was gonna explode!

Starting over, again isn't so bad.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The 4 Linux OS that I lost were: LinuxMInt-8 RC1, Xubuntu 9.10, Fedora12-Xfce and my problem child - Debian Squeeze (testing)-Xfce.

Thankfully, all my personal data and files were on a separate /home partition.

I, also, have over 30 distros saved to CD. And, I'm downloading LinuxMint-8 (Final release)

So re-starting is not so bad. Just time consuming. :lol: Tweaking and such.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

vrkalak, you have a good attitude my friend! :) I have a habit of breaking things in order to learn too. I recently destroyed a perfectly good kubuntu install because I installed the phonon backend to get the equalizer working in Amarok. The equalizer worked great, cups didn't and some of KDE was destroyed in the process. I just started over and figured it might be best to wait until KDE 4.4 to have the equalizer working. :)

Like you I had all of my data in a safe place and it does not take that much time to start over.
lexon

Post by lexon »

That is why I use a removable hard drive rack. I have five drives that I can use, one at a time. Some online vendors sell them
If you enjoy pain, well ok.

I like running applications, not operating systems.

lex
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

All my important data is saved to a DVD-RW for safe keeping. :) Your method provides a lot more options though.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Forgot to mention, my personal data is backed up to an external hard drive.

The replaceable drives contain,
Mint 7 Primary
Mint 7 secondary if primary has a massive failure.
Ubuntu 9.10 and Mint 8 RC1 for comparison characteristics
Moon OS 03-3
PC Linux 2009.1

The last two drives are mostly for playing. Takes about twenty seconds to replace drives.

lex
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

exploder wrote:All my important data is saved to a DVD-RW for safe keeping. :)

I'll see your DVD-RW backup storage, and raise you one!

All my important data is loaded to off-site storage in Bangladesh and chiselled in binary onto stone tablets by illiterate carvers who are working off of morse code smoke signals. :D

No, seriously, a big fat multi-Tb RAID in a fileserver at home handles all of this for me. The only data which I consider irreplacable are photos, and a few DVDs in my desk drawer at work serve as redundant off-site storage.

Return to “Chat about Linux”