Upgrade from Ubuntu 6.06?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade from Ubuntu 6.06?

Post by Kladiator »

I recently installed Ubuntu 6.06 on the second hard disk of an old PC: everything went well but, being completely new to Linux, I have problems with establishing an Internet connection.
I think I will buy in the near future a hardware adsl modem but in the meantime, to be able to view DVD's and listen to MP3s, I thought about switching to Linux Mint.
Is it possible to upgrade from Ubuntu 6.06 to Linux Mint 2.1? And if so, how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Hi Kladiator, unfortunately at the moment there is no upgrade path, only clean installs.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kladiator »

Hi 900i, thanks for the info, but I have another dumb question: should I uninstall Ubuntu first?
Since my pc dual boots XP and Ubuntu, what happens to the MBR on the master drive, the one with Windows?
Thanks again.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Although Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu they're different distributions. If you have windows already installed, and you have two free partitions (one for swap and one for mint) you can simply install Linux Mint. It'll recognize your windows installation and put a dual boot menu in the MBR.

Clem
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kladiator »

Hi,

the thing I don't fully understand is this:

if I install Linux Mint on my second hard disk, which is now used 100% by Ubuntu, I guess it will erase and overwrite that OS, but what about the MBR?
Will the Linux Mint installation automatically set up the correct boot option?

I mean, will the Ubuntu option still be available when I boot the PC, even if this distro will not present on my PC anymore?

Thanks.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It will overwrite what Ubuntu put in your MBR before and set a new boot menu which will point to Mint and Windows.

Clem
Last edited by clem on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kladiator »

Thank you very much, Clem

Return to “Installation & Boot”