linuxmint 8, virtualbox-3.0.10 update not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
walterav

linuxmint 8, virtualbox-3.0.10 update not working

Post by walterav »

The problem is that when I install virtualbox-3.0 PUEL by:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.lst
#add following line to sources.lst
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian karmic non-free
#add key in terminal
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... n_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

apt-get update
apt-get install virtualbox-3.0

It installs virtualbox-3.0.10 but 3.0.12 is already available but not showing in the upgrade list.

On the virtualbox forums they say it is related to mint8?
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 54#p112630
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: linuxmint 8, virtualbox-3.0.10 update not working

Post by viking777 »

You are impatient aren't you! Wait a couple of days and it will be available through synaptic or mintupdate without any changes to sources at all.

It won't be that much better than 3.0.10 anyway, they never are.
walterav

Post by walterav »

So it means, mint has its own virtualbox PUEL version which has an override on my own added repository? There are some fixes for windows guests os which may solve bad performance if I'm not mistaken.

Indeed mint has its own PUEL version in 'software sources' "import packages(import)".

Doesn't the latest version from any repository always overrides?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Helena has its own puel version yes, but I don't think it will override your added repository. What I meant was that if you waited a bit for Mint to catch up then you don't need the added repository. Your way will work as well, I hope you get the features you are seeking.
walterav

Post by walterav »

viking777 wrote:Helena has its own puel version yes, but I don't think it will override your added repository. What I meant was that if you waited a bit for Mint to catch up then you don't need the added repository. Your way will work as well, I hope you get the features you are seeking.
Mint overrides with a older version from the import channel and the packet names are the same... is it a bug?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

walterav wrote:
viking777 wrote:Helena has its own puel version yes, but I don't think it will override your added repository. What I meant was that if you waited a bit for Mint to catch up then you don't need the added repository. Your way will work as well, I hope you get the features you are seeking.
Mint overrides with a older version from the import channel and the packet names are the same... is it a bug?
I don't know, but if it bothers you then make sure you have the version you want and then use synaptic to lock it. In synaptic main window search for then highlight virtualbox , then select 'package' /'lock version'. You need to remember to unlock it if a new version comes out though.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

It's a design decision, not a bug. In order to verify the integrity of its updates, Mint prioritises its own repos over others using the standard /etc/apt/preferences method. One by-product of this is that the repos are sometimes slightly behind.

Return to “Software & Applications”