C++ IDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Marcush

C++ IDE

Post by Marcush »

One if the mayjor reasons I came to mint was because I had some basic programming skills, (completed some simple projects) and wanted to go multi platform before becoming to comfortable in Windows. But so far I cannot find any good Integrated Development Environments in C++, maybe I need to lower my standards but Im used to using Bloodshed Dev C++ and Microsoft Visual Studio Express can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks for your Help it is much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: C++ IDE

Post by lagagnon »

Which ones have you actually tried and why did they not match your standards? There are many and most are very good IMHO: Eclipse, Anjuta, Code::Blocks, KDevelop to name but a few.
Marcush

Post by Marcush »

I tried anjunta and eclipse but I will try the others on your list thanks.
AwesomeSauce

Post by AwesomeSauce »

Hi... I am currently studying electrical engineering and most of my colleagues (including myself) are using "Geany" or "NetBeans". Geany is great if you don't want the IDE to do most of your work, while NetBeans assists you in every possible way. Both can be found in the standard repositories. Just ignore that NetBeans is described to be a Java IDE; you can download a C++ plugin right from the program itself.

Greets...
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

IMHO many students starting out with programming tend to get hung up on the application itself rather truly learning the art of programming. In fact, in many ways learning a language is best done by using a text editor and then when the programs start to get complex with lots of libraries, functions, modules etc, in separate files then and only then does an IDE make much sense. Learning the IDE takes away from the programming & logic skills, at least at the beginning.
deleted

Post by deleted »

...Except knowing a few IDE's makes you buzzword compatible and can help get your foot in the door and land that first job....
And you might learn something in the process ;)
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

^^ +1

Return to “Software & Applications”