Not showing all available apps???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Uncle Spellbinder

Not showing all available apps???

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Running Mint 8-

MintInstall, now generically titled ''software manager'', does not reflect the repos the same way Synaptic does. Nowhere near the amount of programs available in Synaptic are are visible in the software manager.

Why?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Not showing all available apps???

Post by lagagnon »

I believe mintInstall was designed for newbies - with the simplified GUI and the graphics to make newcomers from Windows feel comfortable and to give them some more information on what each piece of software is for and provides only a small subset of the more popular packages most people would need. The Synaptic Package Manager is the standard Debian GUI downloader/installer with the full range of packages in the enabled repositories.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Thanks for the clarification.
JPK

Post by JPK »

Well, it's a good thing for newbies, but is there something between synaptic (which shows every single package) and the "software manager" which shows only a few ? Something like Ubuntu's old "Add/remove" or the new "Software center" (which is, actually, pretty nice I must say) ? Is it possible to install one of those ?
For now I'm stuck with "sudo apt-get install XXX" to install hidden softwares like bkchem or xournal... It's not difficult, but maybe Linux Mint lacks a software manager for average users.

EDIT : Well... "sudo apt-get install software-center" actually installs Ubuntu's software manager... And it works. You know what ? I'm happy.

Return to “Software & Applications”