kde applications in Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
plutus

kde applications in Mint

Post by plutus »

Hi,

wheninstalling some KDE applications in Mint lots of other packages are installed...that's normal I think but e.g. when installing kile, dolphin and konqueror are not necessary!

I've tried removing them but kile is removed too

Any ideas for getting rid of some totally useless extra applications?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
plutus

Re: kde applications in Mint

Post by plutus »

nobody?
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

No idea. That is the problem with installing KDE apps under Gnome and vice versa. Both require lots of extra libraries/apps for even one small application to function properly under a different desktop environment. As to why those other apps were installed the KDE packager must have had some dependency in the system when they packaged, so you're stuck with it I'm afraid. There would be no easy way I know of to remove unused apps without possibly breaking the app you in fact want to keep.
plutus

Post by plutus »

I can live with tons of extras I don't use, I guess I'll survive ;)

but under fedora much less "rubbish" is installed....why not using fedora? :D well, there should be a Fedora Mint :D
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

At least Mint is friendly with KDE apps joining the Gnome ones.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
pada

Post by pada »

As Kile generate pdf it have probably dependencies with KDE tools that deals with pdf, and as kile can browse you directories it probably have dependancies with konqueror and dolphin for this. If you have space on your disk it is not a problem and give you a chance to try Dolphin that I think is more advanced than nautilus.
plutus

Post by plutus »

dolphin and konqueror are recommended dependancies but are not required. In fedora they are not installed. So I guess that many other packages are probably not required...but it doesn't seem to bea aproblem, correct? (unless the size on disk..)

Return to “Software & Applications”