Kubuntu--Fat Boy...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XidCat

Kubuntu--Fat Boy...

Post by XidCat »

Love Mint7, getting used to Mint 8. I have GRUB2 down pat and skinned it plus got rid of Fresh in GDM. So I got bored and decided to try Karmic. Mint 8 is using an average of 256Mb of RAM on boot up before starting any apps. Ubuntu is running a little heavier at ~500Mb. Kubuntu shocked the crap out of me.... on a clean install, after boot, the system monitor shows 1.2Gb of RAM used :shock: ... I'm not a GNOME or KDE fanboy, I just want what works... Any KDE users out there see this high memory use with Mint 7 KDE CE? I was thinking of trying the 8 KDE CE, but if it follows in fat boy's steps, I don't know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Steely

Re: Kubuntu--Fat Boy...

Post by Steely »

Running mint 7 kde with 4.3.2 and it uses about 240 Mb of ram before starting any apps. Make sure you aren't including cached in your actual ram usage.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

We have always known that Gnome and KDE are heavier than Xfce/Openbox and the other light-weight DE/WM . . . but, 1.2 Gigs is a little on the 'obese' side.

I was, over this past weekend checking out the new MS Windows-7 on my nephews laptop. I don't have any MS OS' on my computers.
I like the new Cairo Dock kinda panel they have. MS is finally trying to catch up with Linux and Mac.
It is pretty and fast and very 'bloated' When I opened the System Monitor in Windows-7, I was surprised to see that his laptop was using, on average, 2 Gb of RAM, at any given moment.

Talk about, a 'fat boy'!!

I realize that Gnome and KDE, are a bit on the heavy side and are currently the popular desktops to have in Linux.
But the newer computers (less than 2 years old) have sufficient RAM and Processor power to handle them, with no problems.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I've just installed Kubuntu 9.10 on a new machine, and I'm shocked at what my SM shows. With Konqueror running.
snapshot2.png
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Something to keep in mind, the more RAM you have the more the system will use. My Kubuntu install uses about 160 MB of RAM at startup and I have 3 GB of RAM. Linux is not like Windows and will release memory to things that need it, so as long as my system is not using a ridiculous amount of memory I am not too concerned. Updating the system can make a big difference too because memory leaks in underlying processes can account for higher memory use and updates will generally fix these types of problems.
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

Two things make sense here. Memory leaks and lots of RAM on the computer. I upgraded KDE to 4.3.4 through the ppa. Also, the computer I am testing with has 4Gb RAM, more RAM=more memory used. After all is said and done, I am looking at a consistent 750Mb at boot. Still a lot bigger than GNOME, but I think that is to be expected. I'm going to try the CE when it comes out, but I don't think I can use it daily. I've used GNOME so long that KDE feels kind of awkward and bulky. Then again, the Mintified version may be more nimble.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

richyrich's graph is of a machine with 2gb ram. Likely: 32bit Kubuntu.
XidCat's report is of a machine with 4gb ram. Likely: 64bit Kubuntu.

That makes a huge difference right there.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

AK Dave, I agree, there are a lot of variables. I have seen people post that they are running Kubuntu with 512 MB of RAM, so that tells me that memory management is pretty good over all.
XidCat

Post by XidCat »

AKDave--

32 bit. Box came with 2Gb, I upgraded it to 4. It is true though, 64 bit always uses at least double the memory. I have scrubbed the run levels and removed a lot of unnecessary stuff from starting at boot. I am down to 450Mb, lighter than a stock Ubuntu install. To continue the experiment, I am going to start removing RAM from the box and see how that affects memory use.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

I think there is a problem here.
I`m dual booting Mint 8 & Kubuntu 9.10.
They were both using after boot 6.5% and 9.5% of my 3 gig memory respectively.
Now it seems to have shot up to 15.5% and 20%.
Strangely though when i check my System Monitor, the processes usage dosent add up to what it tells me its using.
Could be a memory leak, but its strange its only just started happening and on both OSs.
Maybe a recent update has caused this and it will be put right soon?

Return to “Chat about Linux”