How do I set video so same resolution occurs with each boot?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krt

How do I set video so same resolution occurs with each boot?

Post by krt »

After booting up Mint 8, my nVidia card goes to the maximum for this monitor and I can only change the resolution by going into the nVidia hardware settings. I get a message when I try setting screen resolution with the separate screen resolution gui that says it "cannot parse xorg".

Is there some way, having gone into the nVidia settings and set the desired resolution, that the system can be "told" to save that setting and reboot each time to that same setting?

I ask this because my wife still uses a CRT monitor and does not want the maximum resolution for the monitor; she wants 1024 x 768 and going into the nVidia hardware deal is unduly complicated for her to do each time she boots up her computer.

Thanks,

krt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
krt

Re: How do I set video so same resolution occurs with each boot?

Post by krt »

Yes, that sounds good, but when I did it before posting (and again just now) it does not work because I get a notice that it "failed to parse xconfig file 'etc/X11/xorg.conf'!" so it will not save it. When I look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf, all I see is:

Code: Select all

Section "Screen" 
	Identifier	"Default Screen" 
	DefaultDepth	24 
EndSection 

Section "Module" 
	Load	"glx" 
EndSection 

Section "Device" 
	Identifier	"Default Device" 
	Driver	"nvidia" 
	Option	"NoLogo"	"True" 
EndSection
When I tried editing it last night, I apparently did something wrong because I could not boot into the installation; I kept getting an xorg.conf error, so I reinstalled the root and kept my home, but I am still facing the same problem after reinstalling the nVidia drivers . . . ?

And I can go into the Control Center and set it there to start up at 1024 x 768, but it does no good; it still starts up at max for this monitor and just ignores the settings I put in at the Control Center.

Thank you,

krt
Last edited by krt on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Where, or when do you get that parse error ? :?

EDIT: You can open your xorg.conf file (open with gksudo) and add this line right below the DefaultDepth line.

Code: Select all

Modes      "1024x768" 
Save & restart . . . let us know . .
Last edited by richyrich on Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krt

Post by krt »

Uh, I cross posted with you I took so long to get it right! I get the error when I click the "save to xconfiguration file" button.

Thank you,

krt
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I think we are both typing at the same time . . . :shock: :lol:

Reading further in your previous post, Once you have installed the Nvidia drivers, do not use the Display settings in the Control Center, use the Nvidia X Server Settings a little farther down the list in the Control Center. :)

Please note my edit above . . :oops:
krt

Post by krt »

Well, I'll tell you what happened. I forgot to make a root backup before I edited the thing with Modes "1024x768" and now I am screwed up again where I cannot boot. It starts with text and when I type "startx" after logging in, and says there is a problem with the xorg file and cannot do it . . . :?

And yes, when I was in the Control Center earlier, I did use the nVidia ones down the list.

krt
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Okay, at the initial Mint boot screen, hit the spacebar and choose Compatibility Mode, when you get to the menu, arrow down to Fix X, enter, and follow the prompts, reboot . . .
krt

Post by krt »

Well that was a neat idea probably, but I had already started to install the root again and now I have everything installed again, but when I attempt to save x config in CC at nVidia deal, it still fails to work and gives me the error message as I mentioned before.

I am going to back up the root before I do anything else right now!

But then what as far as getting it to save the settings on reboot?

Thanks,

krt

OK, I am backed up. Now how do I get it to save my resolution settings?
Airurandojin

Post by Airurandojin »

I have a similar problem.Except that I have two monitors connected. My main monitor and a Wacom tablet-screen.
I am getting the same "cannot parse xconfig file" and at the moment I have to reconfigure the screens everytime I log in. :(

Since I'm new to linux I'm still figuring it out. I understand that the problem is nvidia drivers don't have permissions to write to the xconfig file?
since my monitors are a little more complicated than just setting the resolution in the xconfig file, i am not sure what to do.
Has anyone been able to solve the same problem?
Airurandojin

Post by Airurandojin »

Ok, with a bit more research on the ubuntu forum, I managed to get it working in a bodgy newbie kind of way.

I logged in as root

in terminal sudo nvidia-settings
did all my settings
in the /etc/X11/ folder deleted the xorg.conf file ( I don't think that is advisable)
and then in the nvidia panel I tried to save the settings.
Because the file was not there it could not save but an option to preview the contents popped up so I opened the preview and copied the contents.
then in terminal sudo nvidia-config made a new config file
opened the file up and pasted the preview file into it and saved
then It worked fine.

I do not recommend anyone to do the same thing, as I am quite sure it is the most arse-backwards way of doing it.

Return to “Software & Applications”