Checking out Kubuntu 9.10

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
romabacor

Re: Checking out Kubuntu 9.10

Post by romabacor »

exploder a question............
how put icon home folder and trash on desktop (kubuntu 9.10)???
thanks
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

exploder a question............
how put icon home folder and trash on desktop (kubuntu 9.10)???
thanks
Just go into Dolphin, open desktop, right click and from the drop down dialogue you can choose to create a link to application and location to create the shortcuts you want. You have to mess with the properties to get the icon and name how you want it.
Today I received quite a huge update which included a kernel-update. I hope it is ironing out some glitches...both for Ubuntu and Kubuntu and the base for LinuxMint 8 ofcourse.

So far the kernel update seems to help with the problems I was having. I will run it a while to be sure the issue is fixed.

Edit: The KDE 4.3.3 packages in the backports ppa repo seem safe to use and they fix some annoying bugs! The Amarok 2.2.1 packages also seem alright but the packages to enable the mixer will most likely break or screw up your system, they are in a seperate ppa repo.My advise is not to worry about the mixer right now and wait until those packages mature. The phonon backends package did a lot of damage on my system and I would guess that is why it was not with the other Amarok packages. Here is how to get KDE 4.3.3 and Amarok 2.2.1.

http://www.kubuntu.org/
dequire

Post by dequire »

exploder: The whole Pulseaudio / Phonon thing looks to be better, if not a non-issue, when 4.4 hits. That is, if what I've been reading about all of it is right.
Please note that this is not a backend. This is support for the existing backends’ own PulseAudio output but utilising the control and configuration system presented to KDE users. This allows PulseAudio to manage the devices (sinks and sources) and move the streams between them when required. This will allow seamless setup of all hardware, network (i.e. thin clients, Apple Airtunes and UPnP devices) and bluetooth devices in KDE.

The existing backends in kdesupport (gstreamer and xine) both work with this PA support helper, but vlc and mplayer backends developed outside kdesupport will need some (minor) tweaking to fit in perfectly.
I really am impressed at how far KDE has come already. Dare I say that 10.04 (LTS) might be the perfect desktop storm of features and reliability? I have faith!

I've been running Kubuntu 9.10 (upgraded to 4.3.3) on my notebook (HP nc6000) since it came out without any issues. The only minor tweak so far were the Firefox integration steps I put together, plus the OpenSuse .deb file for FF integration. Also adding Synaptic in lieu of KPackageKit, which is just not quite there yet.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Have installed the kde 4.3.3 packages and the Amarok 2.2.1 edition from the kubuntu site as well. In combination with all the recent updates the system is running smooth and feels stable and snappy. Thanks for the tips exploder and dequire! Now it is waiting for the Mint 8 KDE-edition...
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Has anyone been checking out Fedora 12? I've read some good reviews on it.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

badmotor wrote:Has anyone been checking out Fedora 12? I've read some good reviews on it.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36048
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

markcynt wrote:
badmotor wrote:Has anyone been checking out Fedora 12? I've read some good reviews on it.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36048
Ah, cheers!
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Installed the KDE 4.3.4. package today AND a kernel-udate came today. After restarting my machine I have to say...everything runs like the firebrigade and memory-usage (idle at start) is about 178 MB. I am quite happy with how the machine looks and runs like now!

Btw, will KDE 4.3.4. be the last maintenance-update for the 4.3 branch?

If you want to see how the Gnome-killer KDE 4.4 will look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuapaLJF8g

(Please listen to the beautiful music of the french composer Jean Michel Jarre).
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
dequire

Post by dequire »

midas wrote:Btw, will KDE 4.3.4. be the last maintenance-update for the 4.3 branch?
Yes as 4.4 Beta 1 was released and due for full release in February.
midas wrote:If you want to see how the Gnome-killer KDE 4.4 will look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuapaLJF8g

(Please listen to the beautiful music of the french composer Jean Michel Jarre).
The video's really well done. I expect many more to come as the 4.4 beta sinks in a little...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I think the graphics card issues I was having are finally resolved! I guess between the new kernel, KDE 4.3.4, Firefox 3.5.6 and a load of other updates things finally seem to be working right with my hardware.
dequire

Post by dequire »

exploder wrote:I think the graphics card issues I was having are finally resolved! I guess between the new kernel, KDE 4.3.4, Firefox 3.5.6 and a load of other updates things finally seem to be working right with my hardware.
exploder - Glad your graphics issues are getting resolved! I know you've been battling that for a long time now. I have an old Linksys WPC54g and lo-and-behold, upgrading Kubuntu to 4.4 Beta 1 and the new kernel, this wifi PCMCIA card worked out of the box. I was floored! It used to be a real PITA to get working. Mainly because you had to get NetworkManager to load two drivers. And that was after you went through and manually edited the .inf files to fix all of the CAPITALIZATION issues with filenames - a problem that Windows doesn't have because that OS is case-insensitive.

Linux is getting all growed-up. And with KDE, getting sexier by the day :o

Return to “Chat about Linux”