Cannot start from XP boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Cannot start from XP boot

Post by Fornhamfred »

I run Mint 7 on my main machine but out of interest I loaded Mint4win on my XP machine. Following the release of Ubuntu 9.10 I decided to install this on the XP machine using Wubi. This overwrote the boot entry for Mint. Everything worked OK until I decided to uninstall Mint4win as this deleted the boot entry for Ubuntu.
I found a thread by Merlitz on the Ubuntu forum on how to change the boot.ini file but cannot make it work. My wubi is installed on my f drive and the boot.ini file reads:

[boot loader]

timeout =15

default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

f:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu"

Can anyone throw some light on this please as I hope trying Ubuntu out on this machine will highlight any problems that may be encountered with Mint 8 when it is released.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Cannot start from XP boot

Post by Husse »

Sorry for the the waiting
Can you clarify what the problem is
Mint4win for Helena does not work and will be excluded in the final version
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Husse

This was Mint 7 installed with Mint4Win and Ubuntu 9.10 installed with wubi.
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK I don't think you can have both at the same time - not sure though because that is a Windows bootloader problem
I only have mint4win in Vista - and I realize just now that it is a failed attempt to install Helena that way (not possible because of grub2) so I cant check on how it should be, but your boot.ini looks ok to me
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks Husse

I was hoping that Merlitz might see the thread and cast some light on the problem. I do not really want to re-install Ubuntu as I was only using it to test out my hardware prior to the release of Helena.
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is as I stated a Windows bootloader problem for which I have no answer and it would be rather complicated to install wubi or mint4win in XP for me (no spare monitor :))
Helena is out, without mint4win for the time being though so I think this is closed

Return to “Installation & Boot”