Ipod Touch 2nd Gen *solved*

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DiSTuRBeD

Ipod Touch 2nd Gen *solved*

Post by DiSTuRBeD »

Hello guys,

I'm kinda please with linux mint 7 & 8, but there are still a lot of hurdles I need to take.

I'll try to tackle them one by one...

Here's one for today... and it's not an easy one I guess.

I know the Iphone & Ipod Touch don't work very well on a linux distro (any of them!)... but still, it would make my gf SO happy if she could use it again after I claimed her windows xp laptop as a "test" system for several linux distro's :-)
When I plug in the Ipod Touch, it gets mounted as a camera and when I click: open Ipod, I go to a link gphoto2://... or something like that. I only see a directory DCIM but not the music files.
Gparted nor the disk utility sees the drive of the Ipod Touch.

Can anyone please give me advice what to do?

Since if I don't have a solution in a short while I'll:
- have a virtualbox vista virtual machine, solely for itunes :s (and I can't get the usb sharing to work with virtualbox either)
- will have to install XP on her laptop yet again, and then she'll complain on how fast linux mint was and how slow XP is :-)

I've tried gtkpod, ifuse, ... but nothing seems to work.

Kind regards & thanks for all the help
DiS
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DiSTuRBeD

Re: Ipod Touch 2nd Gen

Post by DiSTuRBeD »

No one any clue? Hint? Advice?
DiSTuRBeD

Re: Ipod Touch 2nd Gen *solved*

Post by DiSTuRBeD »

not really solved but temporary workaround:

Install virtualbox 3.0 (not the OSE edition!)
Install a virtual xp, vista on it
Share a folder and usb device with it
Install Itunes

Itunes will now sync with the ipod in the virtual machine

PS, it's even more fancy if you disable your visual effects and use visualbox in a "seamless mode"

Return to “Hardware Support”