Just a few questions to mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Just a few questions to mint

Post by Fintan »

Hello out there:)

I am new here but have been using kubuntu for quite a while. Now Feisty.
I just installed bianca and upgraded to cassandra.
Very nice :D

First off how can I get that sex green kdm back, and why is the boot splash still displaying Bianca?

Second, how do I use mintinstall (great idea :lol: )? I searche for it and found this:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... all&t=3038

My /user/bin/mintinstall file looks exactly as suggested above:
#!/bin/bash
gksu /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintInstall.py $1 $USER $HOME

But when I follow the instructions when trying to install nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Fintan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the upgrade is not as good as a fresh install and is not prefect so there are some little bits not quite complete but dont hurt your system.

in your web browser use this link to find and install software via the portal:

http://www.linuxmint.com/software/

the new pretty home page is:

file:///usr/share/linuxmint/releasenotes/index.html

:D

BTW this post is in the wrong forum section. but dont worry husse will move it. :lol:
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

Thanks Boo. I tried that :
http://www.linuxmint.com/software/
already but no go :?

I also just realised that it was in the wrong place, every forum is a bit different:) So I posted it again and treid to delete this one. Can't do the delete bit so oh well...

Should I do a clean install? (Boring)
Or can I fix this all the same?

I want skype and thunderbird 2.0.

Edit: What about the kdm? I can't find it kcontrol or system config.

CHeers
F
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

your just trying to confuse me, right? :roll:

i really dont get the software portal page not opening up.

A fresh install will save alot of headaches.

are you wanting to install KDE?
you can use synaptic to do that.
scorp123 has a recent post about that somewhere.

good luck.

PS my l33t speed posting skills have stopped you from deleting the wrong post.

HAHA :lol:
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

Sorry boo, I am not trying to confuse. The portal page opens up fine but when I klick on say skype it asks me to download which I click as well then it asks me if I want to open with mitinstall which I want, so I do. Then a screen comes up asking for my password, which I gladly give. Then nothing happens. nada, Njet.

I am not trying to nstall KDE. It was the default on my bianca DVD. After the upgrade to cassandra the sexy kdm dissapeared and the old kde 3.0 kdm comes up.

Sorry I wasn't explicit before. I thought bianca/cassandra was the kde version.

Could the mintinstall not working have sometning to do with:
gksu /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintInstall.py $1 $USER $HOME

gksu being gnome orientated??

I really like the feature and hope I can get it working.

Thankx again
F
Husse

Post by Husse »

You have upgraded Bianca KDE with Cassandra which i s Gnome. Even if Gnome and KDE can live happily together they can't upgrade each other happily :lol:

I'm sorry but I think your system is bloated way beyond rescue. A fresh install is needed! In this case I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to keep /home - but do backup your data :)
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

Okay, I did this:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _Cassandra

and it worked.

I do not have anything gnome (except for the usual kubuntu stuff) not in the kdm or anywhere else.

I don't know if what I upgraded to is cassandra. It is running kde 3.5.6, which is all I wanted, and mintinstall was there by default. which I gather is a cassandra feature.

My system is almost virgin /home=77MB, /=4.5GB

So what is wrong with mintinstall and how can I get that sexy green kdm abck?

Cheers
Fintan
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK here is your other post
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3231
There you write
Edit: What about the kdm? I can't find it kcontrol or system config.
This is why upgrading a KDE version with a gnome version is no good. It's not that it isn't possible - it's that your configuration files gets really messed up with a mixture of files for KDE and gnome
//edit//
At least I think so - upgrading does not keep track of things as an install does - and Bianca KDE is more than a KDE desktop on Bianca and these extras....//
To put either gnome or KDE on a system is fine (I hope - have not tried :)) but when you upgrade....
I may be wrong but I don't think it's a good idea.
Upgrade Bianca gnome to Cassandra and then add (the new) KDE is on the other hand OK
Last edited by Husse on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

@Hussy: My fault and ingnorance.Well I do agree and it was an assumption on my part. I was so happy that mint had released cassandra and had been happy with bianca that I just " assumed" that kde was in cassandra as well. so much for assumtions :roll: My fault and ignorance.

Anyway I just installed kdmthemes from synaptic and that worked fine. I now have a nice consistant login from start to finish using the zen-_mint_blue :D

But I don't think a fresh install of the gnome version and then installing kde is usefull at this point as everything else seems to work. I did that in the old days of ubuntu and was never happy.

All that remains is the issue with mintinstall :cry:
Does it have anything to do with gksu?

And the white boarders on my grub bootlist.

Everything else is hunky dory. Great distro :lol:

EDIT: Just for the hell of it I changed gksu to kdesu so it now looks like this:
kdesu /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintInstall.py $1 $USER $HOME

Downloaded skype from the mint portal in firebird, clicked on open. I then got a password login screen that looks a lot more "normal" than than last one. But alas, after giving my password still nada.

I would really like to use this great feature if possible.

Cheers and thankx
F
Last edited by Fintan on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

Nobody?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry, but could you line up your remaining problems - I read through so much that I need some help :)
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

All that remains is the issue with mintinstall Crying or Very sad
Does it have anything to do with gksu?

And the white boarders on my grub bootlist.

Everything else is hunky dory. Great distro Laughing

EDIT: Just for the hell of it I changed gksu to kdesu so it now looks like this:
kdesu /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintInstall.py $1 $USER $HOME

Downloaded skype from the mint portal in firebird, clicked on open. I then got a password login screen that looks a lot more "normal" than than last one. But alas, after giving my password still nada.

I would really like to use this great feature if possible.
That sums it up. Thank you again for any help with this.

Fintan
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't have a clue about your grub "boarders"
Have you got the latest version of mintInstall?
Open the "update manager" and select "Search" (if I remember correctly that's what it's called)
Maybe you find something there....
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

With synaptic and adept manager I find for mintinstall= vers. 2.2.

Does that help you further?

Cheers
F
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

I just installed automatix and got skype and TB 2 running.
Thankx for all the fish

This distro is great, too bad the tone and attitude in this forum does not reflect that level of quality.

Sorry, if I step on a few feet, but I just asked a simple question. Maybe a bit naive, I got real quick answers along the lines of how ignorant I am and had to repeat the same question a few times.

So in essence I love the distro and youve got to work on this forum to make it a place of information for the people that happen to walk into it.

Good luck with a big smile
Fintan
Husse

Post by Husse »

Fintan, witih your attitude about the forum be glad I don't lock you out of it! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
//edit//
I should have motivated this - but I did not have the time or the mood when it was posted//
Fintan
You have received lots of help form the support team, we always try to help people so they can use Mint with the ease it's capable of.
I'm also a forum moderator and as such I gave you some advice on the way to post in this forum (which you will find valid in any forum) I also asked you to summarize your status - I was loosing track a bit and as you can see I answer tons of questions. Helping the helper is not a bad idea. Then you come with this
This distro is great, too bad the tone and attitude in this forum does not reflect that level of quality.
Your tone - not our tone !
This is probably the best forum I've ever joined - and there has been a few - a helping and kind attitude, generally good language etc
You have also not been told that you are ignorant - you have been given answers - that's what the forum is for!
Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

You see?? still no answers. Why????
You have also not been told that you are ignorant - you have been given answers - that's what the forum is for!
Thank you for the kind answer. When I have to repeat a question threee times, and I did excuse myself for the bad form of posting my question in the "wrong" place, and still get no answer, well.......
Fintan, witih your attitude about the forum be glad I don't lock you out of it! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
//edit//
You have received lots of help form the support team,
When? I have not recieved one answer to my two questions, above and beyond a bit of non sequitures.

Of course this is the best forum in the world, for you. you moderate it, duh. I have read through this form for three weeks and the tone of the answers given is not exactly newbee productive. For example when someone wites: The gutsy repo works great, in connection with intsalling TB 2. well could that person give a link to that repo? saying that it works great is like saying I can fly a suprsonic jet, but not letting anyone onboard to share the fun.
I am not taking this personel. I love the distro. period. It would be great to be alble to answer my question instead of postering. But so be it. I will continue using this version of mint and showing others how to use it.

@boo sorry I confused you, won't happen again

@hussy: As a moderator do a search for " Bianca mintinstall", mintinstall" or "kde mintinstall" and tell me if you as a newbeeuser can do anything produtive with that information.

Cheers all and take care.
Fintan
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Man I'm so funny no one gets it. :(

i was not confused, just being funny.

keep asking questions because as they say "there are no stupid questions".

Just my stupid answers. :lol:

Now that was funny!

Please remember we keep pretty clean/standard systems so the more complicated you make yours, by design or accident, the harder it is for us to fault find your problems.

BTW if I don't have an answer I don't post, I'm not ignoring you.

Fintan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fintan »

@boo:
i was not confused, just being funny.
Confusion is usually funny :lol:
BTW if I don't have an answer I don't post, I'm not ignoring you.
That makes sense

Unfortunately this install was by accident but I like it and it works. So maybe when and if there is a kde cassandra I can clean this guy up. :)

At any rate I'll be drinking a beer in your name after work today

Cheers
Fintan
Husse

Post by Husse »

Fintan
You can't expect us to know everything - white lines in grub when you've put some splash theme there - well I have a splash image in grub at the moment and I'm happy with it - don't want to change it. I don't know the answer, and I am in my full right not to know it.....
As for mintInstall you have received answers for that...
I almost forgot, you have upgraded Bianca KDE and mintInstall is only for Cassandra (which is gnome) so it most likely won't work
Sorry for not thinking of that before, but I warned you that the path you've taken may have some unwanted consequences ....
There's no need to get rude because of that - I answer in this forum as an unpaid volunteer as do all the other members of the forum (except Clem) and I have a job to tend to and a family, so I don't have all day to spend here...

Return to “Other topics”