Themes for Mint - 2 questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Themes for Mint - 2 questions

Post by barkhat »

Hello!

I was wondering if there is a place to get more themes for Mint? Second, how do you access the themes in the emerald manager?

thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barkhat »

by the way i also tried to retrieve themes from the emerald app. i installed the recommended app and then when trying to retrieve got the message:

"Error calling tar."

How to fix that?
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

barkhat wrote:
Second, how do you access the themes in the emerald manager?
Right click on the beryl diamond in the panel and select "Emerald Theme Manager"
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barkhat »

Thanks, Ede. I'll check them out.

Do you have to use the beryl program to use the themes? (I can't use the beryl because my screen goes completely white when I try and use it).
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

barkhat wrote:
(I can't use the beryl because my screen goes completely white when I try and use it).
I had this problem with my Nvidia 5200 graphic. I'm sorry but I can't recall which graphic chipset you had, but his worked for me.

What I did. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
1) Then Ctrl+Alt+F1
2) Login
3) at the prompt enter code: sudo envy -t
4) Choose install nvidia driver
4) Reboot
5) Log into Mint
6) Start Beryl
7) Open a terminal. If by chance the terminal is just a white blank space, right click on the Beryl diamond and select Metacity as the window manager (terminal window is now normal).
8) Go to terminal and execute:
sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals
9) Close any open apps, then restart your X session (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).
10) Then change the window manager back to Beryl.

I hope it works for you. Good luck.
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barkhat »

newW2 wrote:barkhat wrote:
(I can't use the beryl because my screen goes completely white when I try and use it).
I had this problem with my Nvidia 5200 graphic. I'm sorry but I can't recall which graphic chipset you had, but his worked for me.

What I did. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
1) Then Ctrl+Alt+F1
2) Login
3) at the prompt enter code: sudo envy -t
4) Choose install nvidia driver
4) Reboot
5) Log into Mint
6) Start Beryl
7) Open a terminal. If by chance the terminal is just a white blank space, right click on the Beryl diamond and select Metacity as the window manager (terminal window is now normal).
8) Go to terminal and execute:
sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals
9) Close any open apps, then restart your X session (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).
10) Then change the window manager back to Beryl.

I hope it works for you. Good luck.
Thanks much. I actually have ATI and I understand it is more persnickety than Nvidia. I hope to soon get a different card altogether so I can avoid this scenario.
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barkhat »

speaker219 wrote:
barkhat wrote:Thanks, Ede. I'll check them out.

Do you have to use the beryl program to use the themes? (I can't use the beryl because my screen goes completely white when I try and use it).
If you want to use themes without beryl, thats fine, you don't need the beryl/beryl manager at all if you don't want. Do a google search for "gtk themes" and there are many sites to choose from with some quality themes. Find a theme you want and download the .tar.gz. extract the archive into your ~/.themes folder. then go into mintmenu and go to preferences > themes. then find the theme you wanted in that list and choose it, you're all set =)
Thanks, speaker219! I will go in search and give this a whirl!

Return to “Beginner Questions”