nVidia OpenGL and desktop effects driver issues

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roadkill4

nVidia OpenGL and desktop effects driver issues

Post by roadkill4 »

First of all, I'm a beginner to Linux. I've been using Sabayon for a few years but haven't come close to unlocking the full potential of Linux.

But the desire for a Ubuntu based distro was overwhelming, so the other day I partitioned my hard drive once again and added Mint to the mix.

As much as I already love Mint, I'm already having some video issues that were never apparent in Sabayon. When I try to enable desktop effects, I get the following error message:

Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values. Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type.

Also, OpenGL-based screensavers are ridiculously slow, and the 3D widget Blue Marble gives the error "This object could not be created for the following reason: OpenGL Shaders not supported"

I supposed that things weren't playing nice with the regular nVidia drivers, so I installed the latest proprietary one (version 180). This didn't fix the problem.

I downloaded drivers straight from the nVidia website and installed them without incident. Window movements were flashier by default and the widget worked, although it was rather slow. The screensavers were still slow. Desktop effects could be enabled without producing an error message, but when I changed stuff nothing happened (yes I clicked 'apply').

So I went back to the default drivers, tore my clothes, poured ashes on my head, etc.

Googling turned up rather little conclusive topics on the subject.

Any ideas? I have an nVidia 8800GT on an nForce 780i motherboard.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: nVidia OpenGL and desktop effects driver issues

Post by mick55 »

Nvidia cards usually work perfectly with Mint, so your situation is unusual.

Could you please run this command in terminal

Code: Select all

inxi -F
and post the output here.

Thank you.
mick
roadkill4

Post by roadkill4 »

Thanks, Mick.

I did an apt-get for inxi, ran the command inxi -F, and got the following output:

System:    Host llama Kernel 2.6.28-11-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - KDE Community Edition
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8500 (SMP) cache 6144 KB flags (sse3 nx lm vmx) bmips 12665.6
           Clock Speeds: (1) 3166.409 MHz (2) 3166.409 MHz
Graphics:  Card nVidia GeForce 8800 GT X.Org 1.6.0 Res 1680x1050@60.0hz
Audio:     Card nVidia MCP55 High Definition Audio driver HDA Intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.18rc3
Network:   Card-1 2x nVidia MCP55 Ethernet driver forcedethforcedeth at ports ac00 a800
           Card-2 Atheros Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k_pci v: 0.9.4
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 1420.3GB (0.3% used) 1: /dev/sda Seagate FreeAgen 1000.2GB 2: /dev/sdb WDC WD3000GLFS-0 300.1GB
           3: /dev/sdc ST3120813AS 120.0GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 26G used: 3.9G (16%) ID:swap-1 size: 4.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
Info:      Processes 144 Uptime 11 min Memory 448.2/2770.7MB Client Shell inxi 1.0.6
Thanks again
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Here is my inxi -F output for comparison

System:    Host mick-desktop Kernel 2.6.31-15-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 4400 (SMP) cache 2048 KB flags (sse3 nx lm) bmips 7992.98 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 1200.00 MHz (2) 1200.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card nVidia G86 [GeForce 8500 GT] X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1280x1024@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce 8500 GT/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.0.0 NVIDIA 185.18.36 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
           Card-2 Logitech Inc. Premium Stereo USB Headset 350 driver snd-usb-audio
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.20
Network:   Card Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection driver e100 v: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI at port 1000 
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 1322.3GB (56.6% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3500630A 500.1GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb 5000AAK External 500.1GB 3: USB /dev/sdc FreeAgentDesktop 320.1GB 
           4: USB /dev/sde iPod 2.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 94G used: 29G (32%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 4.38GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 27.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:45C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes 168 Uptime 1:48 Memory 339.5/2011.3MB Client Shell inxi 1.2.6 
The relevant part is this

GLX Renderer GeForce 8500 GT/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.0.0 NVIDIA 185.18.36 Direct Rendering Yes
If you notice you do not have anything similar to this in yours.
It looks as if perhaps you installed the driver but did not enable it.
Go to Control Center>>Hardware Drivers
Select the newest Nvidia driver and click activate.

I have not used the KDE version of Mint so I hope it has a Control Center :wink:

let me know
mick
Last edited by mick55 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadkill4

Post by roadkill4 »

Thanks again, Mick.

I went to Applications - System - Hardware Drivers, activated the latest nVidia proprietary driver (180), and restarted. Hardware Drivers now shows that it is active, but I still don't have a GLX Renderer entry in my inxi -F output. In fact, it looks exactly the same except that my refresh rate dropped to 50hz.

It makes sense that Mint doesn't see my video card as a GLX renderer considering everything seems to work perfectly except rendered effects. Thanks for the suggestion.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Nvidia installs it's own tool to configure the display.
Find the Nvidia display manager or if you try to run Mint's
Display manager it will offer to open the Nvidia one for you.

Hopefully someone more conversant in KDE will join this dialog
since I do not know my way around that WM.
I am using Mint 8 Main Edition[gnome]

Incidentally what type of monitor are you using?
Your resolution is very high and looks like widescreen.
roadkill4

Post by roadkill4 »

I found an nVidia X Server Settings which I assume is KDE's version of an official display manager. Interestingly, under "OpenGL/GLX Information" the menu displays "Fail to query the GLX server vendor." There doesn't appear to be an option to enable these settings or troubleshoot.

Just out of curiosity, I uninstalled and disabled all nVidia drivers and installed the drivers from nVidia's website again. Now I finally get a GLX entry in my inxi -F output and OpenGL/GLX information in X Server although I still can't make effects work or get things to run correctly.

GLX Renderer GeForce 8800 GT/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.2.0 NVIDIA 190.42
I have an Asus MK221 that I bought from Newegg about a year ago. It's a 22" LCD with a satin screen and HDMI input. I really like it.
roadkill4

Post by roadkill4 »

Well, it seems our situation has changed.

I was in the midst of tweaking Grub and suddenly needed to boot into Windows 7. Long story short, apparently Windows 7 decided to be typical and read "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" as "Hey, I think I'm going to randomly overwrite the partition table of this completely separate hard drive that has nothing to do with my MBR, thus destroying all three operating systems and associated software/drivers/data."

I hate Windows.

However, when I reinstalled Mint I was able to activate the proprietary driver and finally use desktop effects. I was rather excited until the computer gods smote me once again; for no apparent reason Mint started doing the thing it did with nVidia's official drivers: windows flip around "fancily" (annoyingly), and I can technically enable desktop effects though nothing different happens when I change these effects.

GLX still shows up in my inxi -F output, but unlike before it appears even when proprietary drivers are inactive.

Thanks again for all your help.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

Yikes :shock:

Windows 7 = Why I use Linux Mint :D
roadkill4

Post by roadkill4 »

Lol Windows Vista is the reason I use Linux/Mac, but same point :D

Return to “Hardware Support”