Linux Mint 8 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Mutiny32

Re: Linux Mint 8 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Mutiny32 »

Forgot to add, The Dell 530n, which came from Dell with Ubuntu preinstalled, will not fully boot the x64 OR the x32 version of the LiveCD. Both seem to get past the bootsplash screen and then sit for awhile, eventually stopping with the busy mouse pointer animation that has stopped moving. I haven't tried a compatability boot though. The x64 CD throws some block device errors while attempting to boot, but it gets past them. It's probably a normal thing, as I've seen it with prior versions of Ubuntu.
Mutiny32

Post by Mutiny32 »

Also just noticed this in the Update manager when checking the changelog for the 'gdm' package. Link isn't correct.

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/g/gdm/gdm_2.28.1-1mint1-0ubuntu2/changelog
andydch

Post by andydch »

dlowe wrote:I've never tried Linux Mint before, but I've got a lot of experience with various other distributions of Linux. I attempted to install the x64 RC version onto a Dell M1330 by burning to a CD. Booting failed at ISOLINUX complaining about not finding the kernel 'linux'. Typing casper/vmlinuz resulted in a 'Corrupt or missing kernel' message. I never got past that.

The BIOS configuration didn't have any relevant-looking options. The burned CD and the ISO file had matching checksums. I'm pretty stumped. :/
I got same problem when try to install on my friends' compaq notebook using my my live usb, but no problem when installing on my notebook.
I think the conclusions is hardware or bios problem.
Try to other machine bro...... :D
andydch

Post by andydch »

I've got this error message when apply usb_modeswitch.

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libusb-0.1.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
As a newbie user, I can't understand some explanation from uncle google. :)

can anybody give me some help?
I have no problem with Helena 32bit.

my machine : core 2 duo 2Ghz, ram 3gb
modem : zte ac2726

thanks
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Well, it means it can't find file x (libusb-0.1.so.4 in this case). :P Don't need no Google to tell you that!
I'm running the 32-bit edition (for now, anyway), so I'm not sure how valid my advice is, but have you checked to see if libusb is properly installed?

apt install libusb
(Or you could try apt search libusb and pay attention to what letter is listed before the related package - i means installed, p means not.)
andydch

Post by andydch »

Silent Warrior wrote:Well, it means it can't find file x (libusb-0.1.so.4 in this case). :P Don't need no Google to tell you that!
I'm running the 32-bit edition (for now, anyway), so I'm not sure how valid my advice is, but have you checked to see if libusb is properly installed?

apt install libusb
(Or you could try apt search libusb and pay attention to what letter is listed before the related package - i means installed, p means not.)
I have done what your advice before I post this problem but still returned error.
:( :( :(
distro hopper

Post by distro hopper »

I did a comparison of Boot times.. and Helena is ALOT slower than Gloria. I'm not sure if it's a Bug per say, however there is lots of room for improvement!

Helena x64 RC1 (50s) graphical boot chart.
Gloria x64 (21s) graphical boot chart

(made with the bootchart package in repos)
carling

Post by carling »

I have download Mint 8 x 64 from two different mirror sites in the states and they wont burn to the cd I did a simulation burn on both and it tells me success them come to burn them and get a failure error, on one it went up to 65% then crashed on the other it in the simulation it tells me that it can't read the file at block 600 and retries then it goes to block 700 can can't read that so what the problem here I download mint 8 and that crashed my system I put that down to my system being intel 64 bit system and waited for the 64 to come out

I want MINT ASAP :( using Ubuntu 9.10 at the mo :oops:
Arron

Post by Arron »

In Mint 8, 64 my Logitech Wave wireless keyboard stopped working. On first install and booting it worked, now after shutting it down for the night it stopped.

The keyboard works fine in the bios and grub to navigate around, and it works fine in Mint 8 main 32. The mouse that comes with that uses the same wireless adapter works fin in 64 and 32.
gazza

Post by gazza »

i5-750 cpu , asus P7P55D, my 6g ram is only seen as 2.9g

No internet, I've a 3g dongle, In mint 7 32bit on first boot a wizard installed it, I only had to add dns, works fine, Nothing like that in this rc, I'm using a backup /home with all my 32bit stuff in it, and the vpn has my dongle info in it, but the network tool has no 3g option to click on like I do in M7 32bit. After deleting /home/user contents and fresh start,the same, no popup etc
/var/log/messages is constantly flooding with
kernel: [ 601.721679] option 2-1.2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
kernel: [ 601.721720] usb 2-1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
kernel: [ 601.725369] option1 ttyUSB2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2

ctrl+alt+f1 or any tty , produces a weird flood, I see the login prompt half a second, then the screen scrolls with
[an increasing number] Option: option_instat_callback: error -108

Can't do anything more, I can't even upgrade if there is a bug fix for these issues

Happy to do anything , if you want to contact me, I'm in #linuxmint-help a lot nick gazza

disappointed and frustrated, I really hope the 3g issue is addressed before the final is released !!!

p.s. iso and cd were md5sumed and correct
padser

Post by padser »

Hi,

I am impressed with Linux Mint 8 RC1 X64 after using Linux Mint 7 Gloria X64 for the last 6 months. Well Done.
I have noticed the following bugs in the latest RC1 X64 version;
#No audio through speakers but I do have audio from headphone jack.(I found this same bug with linux mint 8 32bit version)
#Slower boot up than Linux Mint 7 X64.

I have the following hardware and it is a clean install.
HP Compaq Presario V6613TU Core 2 Duo 1.5Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
Realtek HD Audio (ALC 268)
INTEL 965GM graphics 256MB

I think the latest alsa package 1.21 may resolve the issue but am not sure. Any help would be great .

Thank you
P
Last edited by padser on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gazza

Post by gazza »

Second Post, second computer

Compaq Presario CQ60 , installed , went to boot vista first, goes into recovery mode, says it's fixed, but reboots and won't load, reboot again Recovery mode, constant cycle, Vista is hosed ??,, No, fifth or is it sixth time the charm. finally the recovery mode worked..

3g dongle doesn't work on this computer either. Same problem as my post above, though dmesg shows both errors I found, the constant connect, disconnect and the option: option_instat_callback: error -108
ctrl+alt+f1 does give me a tty without problems on this computer though..

was hoping I could get on the net with the laptop and download upgrades but no go :(
raywoods

Re: Linux Mint 8 x64 RC1 Bug Thread ~ Wireless Network

Post by raywoods »

Hi
I'm running Linux Mint 8 x64 RC1 on a Sony Vaio (VGN-SZ5MN/B). On this machine there are two accounts, one for me and one for my wife. Using these accounts independently presents no problems however, should you switch users, use the second account then logout of that second account, when you return to the first account the wireless network is missing. The only way to get it running again is to restart the machine. (Mind you, I haven't tried logging off then back on yet!!)

The rest of this release works well for me, but I still have to work out how to get the integrated webcam to work. Seeing many laptops have integrated webcams perhaps this could be made easier in future?

It's looking like a really good solid release and I should be easily able to "sell" it to friends looking for a new os.
Petoooo

Post by Petoooo »

Hi. Im using Linux Mint 8 RC1 X64 for now. Looks gr8, works gr8. There are some problems when i hibernate system and then wake it up ( some artifacts and so, but after long loading everything is ok). I have only 1gb ram in my laptop, so there are some lags too ( because it eats 90% of my ram and uses 500mb of swap) :D . Soon ill have 3gb ram, so ill post results. After 2 hours i found how to solve problem with my webcam (it didnt work) and now works excellent (i tried only in cheese). I had to connect my laptop directly through cable to internet, because i needed to dl drivers for my wifi card. ( im lucky, that i could do it, what if i dont have cable connection at home?) - so i mean you should implement wifi drivers to final release - and laptop users will be happy!
Regards Peter
ps: i have HP 6735S laptop ( Sempron 2,1 ghz, 1gb of ram, 250gb HDD, ATi HD 3200 etc.. ) :)
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Husse wrote:I think there will be a fix for the GDM problem
I sure hope so!!!
aconitum

Post by aconitum »

I used to run LInux Mint 7 on my intel 24" iMac. All was well and I enjoyed Linux. When I installed Linux Mint 8, it would not boot again. My neighbor who uses a windows laptop also was using 7 but after the installation, he also could not boot into Linux. Apparently you changed the way it uses Grub or efi but whatever you did, change it back!

I went back to OSX; I have not other choice since you screwed it so bad.

It was working great till you fixed it.

------------------------------------------Two weeks later and after pulling out all my hair------------------------------------

I now have Mint 8 up and running on my iMac at last.
The install instructions fail to mention a few changes in mint 8 over mint 7
In mint 7, you made a /boot partition and formatted it as type 3, put the boot loader on it and rEFIt would boot to it.
Not so in mint8, start by defragMINTing your old OS X system, use boot camp to partition the drive.
Install mint 8 and tell it to either use all the free space for mint 8 or tell it us put mint side by side with os x. Do not make custom partitions. NOW'S the fun part. Put the boot loader on the H0 drive (that's the default), not on a /boot partition. rEFIt will now see it and place a "windows" icon on the boot screen next to OSx when you cold boot. Choose "windows" and mint 8 comes right up. I'm glad to be back in mint again after trying 100's of combinations to get it to boot.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”