Apple Trailers - a solution

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrHu

Re: Apple Trailers

Post by DrHu »

bithub wrote:Well, I found a word around posted here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/9cmj6/
Basically, you need to modify firefox to explicitly set the user agent, then you can download the movie.
Too much trouble methinks, just to see a trailer that may also be available in other sites..
One of the suggestions in that link
go to youtube and watch it instead
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Install the User Agent Switcher extension, you can change it at will, and can even set it for a specific domain, e.g. always tell apple I'm using IE8
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Looks like Apple has made some changes.... I get a gray box, apple trailers originally played fine on my system.

Edit: I tried the user switcher add on, it did not work for me. I tried apple trailers on more than one version of Firefox and they will not play. I think Apple has changed something and that is causing the problems because I could play the trailers before.

Edit 2: I tried all of the suggestions in this thread and can not get apple trailers to play. It's just is not worth my time to try and work around this crap. Apple can have their movie trailers, I don't need them anyway.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Changing the user agent finally worked. Here is a screen shot of what to enter.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8499/s ... ragent.png

I was not clear at first on how to set this up...

Additional information here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1245441

Edit: We must be a real threat to Apple for them to try and lock us out of watching movie trailers. It is sad that we have to jump through hoops to get movie trailers to play. We need trailers in ogg theora so we do not need Apple's proprietary codecs.
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Apple Trailers - a solution

Post by ShyGuy »

I'm no plugin expert, but I think Mint has the gecko-mediaplayer plugin It also has something called Totem?
Shaine

Post by Shaine »

Interesting concerning this as well: http://linux-blog.org/apple-denies-linu ... -trailers/ also read comment #6 in that link; after that it unfortunetely deteriorates into an argument.
walterav

Post by walterav »

With Linuxmint8 i386 or x64, almost all apple trailers from the apple website work from the livecd out of the box!

Only one is 'half' working for me:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/antichrist/
The following link you have two categories, the 'clip' and the 'trailer'. All clips "standard/HD"play fine from 'clip'.
But when choosing the 'trailer' category no clips will play at all no mather if you choose standard/HD.

Anyone a solution?

ps: they play fine on mac osx10.5.8 with safari/firefox
Shaine

Post by Shaine »

Working out of the box for me too recently after update && upgrade :)
walterav

Post by walterav »

Shaine wrote:Working out of the box for me too recently after update && upgrade :)
Do the following trailer clips play at all? Just curious if you can confirm...

I'm on Mint linux 8 x64
MrD

Post by MrD »

using 32bit Mint8 here and tested that trailer in Medium and 1080 settings and Mplayer played them. The volume was very low though.
walterav

Post by walterav »

MrD wrote:using 32bit Mint8 here and tested that trailer in Medium and 1080 settings and Mplayer played them. The volume was very low though.
Just curious, did you click the 6 clips from the "clip" category or the 6 clips "trailer" category? The trailer category just gives as buffering status and than cache fill 100%. Than the screen stays black and the clip won't start playing. The 'clip' category 6 clips play fine...
Shaine

Post by Shaine »

walterav wrote:
Shaine wrote:Working out of the box for me too recently after update && upgrade :)
Do the following trailer clips play at all? Just curious if you can confirm...

I'm on Mint linux 8 x64
Strange, on that particular film you linked me to, the clip works but on the trailer after cache fills then says "stopped" rather than play. I clicked on some of the other films by the same film company and those trailers play fine. Maybe the upload is broken?
MrD

Post by MrD »

walterav wrote:
MrD wrote:using 32bit Mint8 here and tested that trailer in Medium and 1080 settings and Mplayer played them. The volume was very low though.
Just curious, did you click the 6 clips from the "clip" category or the 6 clips "trailer" category? The trailer category just gives as buffering status and than cache fill 100%. Than the screen stays black and the clip won't start playing. The 'clip' category 6 clips play fine...

Oops. My mistake. I had played the clips rather than the trailer. The trailers do not work in fact. They don't in fact work on LM8 and I just tried them on a Windows XP install after I installed Quicktime Alternative and they do not play either, suggesting broken database links, so it's not a Mint issue after all, but Apples website.
Shaine

Post by Shaine »

Almost all clips AND trailers work for me in LM8. I say 'almost' because' the one walterav linked won't play. Otherwise all do work fine. Anything on my system I can report that may help you guys :?:
walterav

Post by walterav »

Shaine wrote:Almost all clips AND trailers work for me in LM8. I say 'almost' because' the one walterav linked won't play. Otherwise all do work fine. Anything on my system I can report that may help you guys :?:
MrD wrote:Oops. My mistake. I had played the clips rather than the trailer. The trailers do not work in fact. They don't in fact work on LM8 and I just tried them on a Windows XP install after I installed Quicktime Alternative and they do not play either, suggesting broken database links, so it's not a Mint issue after all, but Apples website.
They play fine on safari/firefox on leopard 10.5.8 on same machine...
Shaine wrote:Strange, on that particular film you linked me to, the clip works but on the trailer after cache fills then says "stopped" rather than play. I clicked on some of the other films by the same film company and those trailers play fine. Maybe the upload is broken?
They play fine on safari/firefox on leopard 10.5.8 on same machine...

Thank you all for checking again! But will it be a mplayer issue, or is it apple that is trying to make these trailers quicktime only?
DasFox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DasFox »

JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

bithub wrote:Hey guys,

I'm new to Linux Mint, and I'm trying to play the some of the video at http://www.apple.com/trailers/ but I can't seem to get any of them to play. All I get is a black video box that pops up, but no video. I tried a few different videos, but couldn't get any of them to work.

Is there something special I need to install to get quicktime videos to play in Firefox?

Thank you.
YouTube has all the trailers that Apple Trailers does. No need to give Apple any additional traffic and no need for Quicktime.
ethan12

Post by ethan12 »

Almost all the clips and trailers for me in LM8. I say "almost" because the "Not A related walterav DO play. Otherwise, DO All work fine. Everything on my system, I Can Tell you What You Can rescuer Guy
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

im using LM9 gome and i noticed when viewing the trailers you can see two media players (menus) looks really bad in my opinion.
One is apple menu the other is gecko-mediaplayer which actually plays the trailer (see 1st screenshot)
I was able to fix this and make apple play the trailer instead. This now means i can pause the video, skip to a certain part etc. Also i dont have to wait to certain percentage before i can view the trailer. there also seems to be a really good improvement with the video quality of the trailers. (might just be the screenshots)
I done this by removing gecko-mediaplayer and installing totem-mozilla
If anyone wants to try this out just use the synaptic package manager and remove gecko-mediaplayer then install totem-mozilla or copy these two commands into a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove gecko-mediaplayer
then once thats done copy and paste

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install totem-mozilla
into the terminal and let it install
remeber to reopen firefox so it loads the new plugin
heres to screenshots of the before and after. Give you and idea of the difference
Image Image
AliceInLinuxland

Post by AliceInLinuxland »

I was able to view the apple trailers from a Mint 9 KDE 32-bit live DVD by clicking on the downward arrow and selecting "automatic." You will get a very small window perhaps appropriate for a cell phone. You can watch, but YouTube is a better option. Anybody else want to verify this? Perhaps the apple website is mistaking Linux Mint for a cell phone?

Return to “Sound”