Feedback about community.linuxmint.com

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Feedback about community.linuxmint.com

Post by clem »

This topic is dedicated to alpha-testers registered on community.linuxmint.com.

Clem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: Feedback about community.linuxmint.com

Post by garda »

I've posted my first idea: http://community.linuxmint.com/index.php/idea/view/12. And I think you should not allow voting for one's own idea. I just promoted mine. :mrgreen:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You're right, the author shouldn't be able to vote his own ideas, I'll fix that soon.

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Ok, fixed.
szamot83

Post by szamot83 »

Hello,
Idea is great.

I have found similar idea on Jolicloud Distro. Take a look at http://getsatisfaction.com/jolicloud/
I think sth like this:
Should be on home page.

I think, that comment for ideas, should be more personalized, they should have avatars and maybe user signature - all should be elegant and minimal.

Ratings for comments - sometimes someone gives idea, and someone improve it (in comment) - it would be nice, to vote for this.

What do you say about tagging the topics or maybe when you give idea you match what Mint version it concerns.

There should be chose to ordering "top posts" - newest, oldest, most commented, less commented, most scored etc.

There could be IRC client (chat) option near Home Button. I saw irc client working in web site - http://www.ndstuff.pl/chat.php

There could be button named "I have same problem too" - I saw this button on getsatisfaction.com
That's all for now. What do you think about those ideas?

Regards.

Sorry for my English.
Last edited by szamot83 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JanG
Level 2
Level 2

No email

Post by JanG »

After registration I do not receive an email.

**Solved, it was in unwanted map, thanks to f*cking hotmail**
Last edited by JanG on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 13, LMDE, Fedora 17, Suse 12.2
szamot83

Post by szamot83 »

ikey wrote:Oh and that chat is nothing more than a Mibbit widget unfortunately :/ (the one you linked)
I give this link only for example. It is nice that someone like this idea. Maybe it should be sth like shoutcast on forum?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Excellent !! Nice work, Clem.

I really like what you've done with the layout and the colour scheme, so far.

One thing, I noticed right off. After registering and updating my user info.

One of the questions is: To choose which 'edition' you're using. Then, when I view the profile, the word "Edition" is mentioned twice.
Once as the title and a 2nd time as part of my choice. Because all editions are listed as: Main Edition, KDE Edition, Community Edition, and so on.
Then, it is tagged in the users profile as: Edition: Xfce Community Edition. Just seems redundant.

But, overall . . very nice and aesthetically pleasing.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

I like the new website and the idea. It would be cool to have a way to instantly chat with someone who is logged into the website at that moment.

ex: I am on site adding an idea, or just reading the latest posts and someone who is also logged in has a small problem or quick question. I could give a quick solution or provide help some other way (a link, code etc.)

I like the avatar idea and small profile but I don't think it should get much heavier. I one line signature would be cool (no images).

Looking forward to the 'Hardware Module.' That is a very good idea.

I am on my computer most days for hours so I will be back often.

Dave.
garda

Post by garda »

Have just taken another look at the Community 'Portal'. Why should there be a Support section? Putting the section there will only confuse new comers and clutter everything. Or am I missing something?

And wow, there were only 6 registered users when I signed up. Now there are 107 registered users already. An average of 26.75 new users per hour.
eduardor2k

Post by eduardor2k »

Hi to everyone.

I've tryed to upload a 100x100 9 kb gif, but nothing happens, not even a message saying it's been uploaded or not.

Thanks.
garda

Post by garda »

eduardor2k wrote: Hi to everyone.

I've tryed to upload a 100x100 9 kb gif, but nothing happens, not even a message saying it's been uploaded or not.

Thanks.
Because the site only supports JPG at the moment.
miguelsanfer

Post by miguelsanfer »

Hi to everyone!

First of all, congratulations for the website. It's a great idea. I'm sure you're doing a great job. I found it very intuitive and I think it looks nice.

I don't know if I'm going to say something stupid, and probably you have already thought about it. But here's what I think. I like very much the option of adding new ideas. But I think it would be even better if you could add ideas with several options, and the people could vote for one of them. For instance, instead of asking "Do you like the name of Isabella for Linux 9?", someone could ask: "Which one of these names do you prefer?" and give several options.

The two ways of asking questions could be there, and the person who's asking could take a choice between the two of them.

Well, what do you think?

I'm sorry for my english if there is any mistake... (I'm sure of it)

Bye.
szamot83

Post by szamot83 »

It's look great. I hope there will be place for this on website.
garda

Post by garda »

Some of you may have seen multiple duplicates of one of my ideas and thought I tried to spam. But it was never my intention. I've deleted the duplicates.
egabrum

Post by egabrum »

I am trying to save my second idea, but it won't happen...
garda

Post by garda »

egabrum wrote:I am trying to save my second idea, but it won't happen...
That was exactly why I made lots of duplicates of the same idea. I thought I would just try to save it repeatedly, until I finally gave up. But then I saw five of it posted on the site.

So I think you should just leave it. If you've hit the Save button, you will see your idea appear sooner or later.
eduardor2k

Post by eduardor2k »

garda wrote:
eduardor2k wrote: Hi to everyone.

Thanks.
Because the site only supports JPG at the moment.
Ok
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

Excellent! :)

Now back to business. To be kicked out of the Alpha:
1. The "Promote" button can be pushed on and on... (although the votes don't increase but the page still refreshes)
2. The country flag is displayed as a broken image if the country isn't set. :) It looks very nice so far. Thank you for the effort!
3. Duplicate names for ideas should not be allowed.
4. For formatting sake, nl2br() should be used.
5. Empty comments/ideas after trim() should not be posted.
ArcherSeven

Post by ArcherSeven »

kneekoo wrote: To be kicked out of the Alpha:
Attempting to copy directly out of forums and into ideas box :P Lol, j/k.
Great ideas all around! I already posted some ideas on the site, right HEREish... So I won't repeat myself :P Also willing to offer my services where able.
*hunts for "Disable smilies".* *finds it while typing.....*

Return to “Programming & Development”