New default browser for Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willxtreme

New default browser for Linux Mint

Post by willxtreme »

I highly recommend replacing Firefox
with Chromium-Browser

Chromium-Browser doesn't use much memory. It's amazing how fast it is.
It gets better as time goes on. I used to have some issues with flash but with
the latest updates everything just works.

If you happen to find a bug you can easily report it to make Chromium more robust :D. I've been using firefox for such a long time on windows and found that Opera was performing a bit better when it comes to Linux BUT, out of all the browsers available out there, Chromium stole my heart 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: New default browser for Linux Mint

Post by MaddogF16 »

Don't forget the extentions that are now available. :D
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

willxtreme wrote:I highly recommend replacing Firefox
I think I'm going to stick with Firefox. I had no idea it had such a way-cool icon!

;)
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

mintnoob wrote:I think I'm going to stick with Firefox. I had no idea it had such a way-cool icon!
;)
Don't you like Chromium's pokeball better :lol:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have added the Firefox source codes from Launchpad.net to my Mint software sources.list in the repositories.
You can do the same with Chrome browser, add the source codes (links) to the Mint repositories ... get automatic upgrades/updates to the browser via Mint Update.

Anyway, I have Firefox 3.7 Alpha 1 installed ... it's even faster than Chrome!!
And still has all (or most of) the Add-ons and Extensions that we love about Firefox.

But ... I don't know about the next Default Browser in Mint ??
Firefox has maturity and stability, whereas, Chrome is fairly new in the FOSS/Linux community.
We'll have to wait and see, how Chrome grows and develops?
Last edited by vrkalak on Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I think Chrome/Chromium is a good idea as a browser but it's still not mature enough IMO.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Add the Chrome browser ppa source codes (via Launchpad.net) to your Mint Software Sources.list in the repositories.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

Receive regular updates from Google via Mint Update Manager.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Don't even think about it.

Firefox is the #1 Linux browser, and #2 (behind IE) in all browser use. Mint is built as a desktop for the non-technical new Linux user. It would be foolish to replace Firefox as the default browser. It is a familiar name to almost everyone. We don't need one more item to scare new users off.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

vrkalak wrote:I have added the Firefox source codes from Launchpad.net to my Mint software sources.list in the repositories.
You can do the same with Chrome browser, add the source codes (links) to the Mint repositories ... get automatic upgrades/updates to the browser via Mint Update.

Anyway, I have Firefox 3.7 Alpha 1 installed ... it's even faster than Chrome!!
And still has all (or most of) the Add-ons and Extensions that we love about Firefox.

But ... I don't know about the next Default Browser in Mint ??
Firefox has maturity and stability, whereas, Chrome is fairly new in the FOSS/Linux community.
We'll have to wait and see, how Chrome grows and develops?
I haven't tried 3.7 Alpha 1 yet but if you say it's even faster than Chrome, it's time for me to check it out! I'm a speed freak lol.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Just remember that like Chrome, the newer versions of Firefox at still in the testing phases.
Although, I find them quite stable, already.

Firefox is officially released as 3.5.5 or 3.5.6
Firefox 3.6 is Beta 4
and Firefox 3.7 is in pre-Alpha 1

**kinda like my car (Porsche 911) . . . fast and pretty! :mrgreen:

Oh yeah ... the code name for Firefox 3.7 is Minefield. :lol:
Last edited by vrkalak on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wplj42

Post by wplj42 »

My primary OS is Mac. I have all three versions of Firefox on Mac OS. They all work fine. I do agree that 3.7 (Minefield) is quicker than the other Firefoxes. I am reasonably new to Linux Mint and Linux in general. I like Google Chrome. I run it in Linux Mint, W7RC, and Mac OS. I kind of like it more than Firefox, and even for a Mac guy, I like Google Chrome more than Safari. The multifunction address bar is way cool.
cogerber

Post by cogerber »

I must say I have been impressed with Chrome in LM7. I use gmail and google voice and other services from google and Chrome makes accessing them a breeze. I do agree though that Firefox should stay the default browser for the fact of its long service record. But hey Chrome is easy to install in Mint so its no big deal to install it. Either way im looking forward to both browsers growing and improving esp. in Linux!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I am using Opera 10x, and don't care which is the default browser
  • Opera performs well for me..
garda

Post by garda »

I'm against the notion of defaulting to a browser made by a single company, especially Google. Staying with Firefox as default browser is a much better idea to me. Granted, Firefox has its problems and limitations but, as cited by vrkalak, it keeps improving. I believe future final versions will be much better.
garda

Post by garda »

wplj42 wrote:The multifunction address bar is way cool.
Firefox has the same feature, too. In fact, Chrome probably owes it to Mozilla engine implemented in it. If you're interested in learning more, try to google: firefox %s variable or click on the first link in my signature and look for an extension called Omnibar.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

DrHu wrote:I am using Opera 10x, and don't care which is the default browser
  • Opera performs well for me..
Same for me, and Opera 10.5/11 will perform even better. Watch out for the 22th :-)
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

I guess when it comes to which browser you like it's a matter of personal taste. It's like do you like gnome or KDE. I've just tried Minefield and it's fast but Chromium-Browser uses less memory in my case so I'll stick with Chromium :-). It is true that it is relatively new compared to Firefox to put it as a default browser too. My suggestion instead would be to add Chromium in Mint's default rep since it's pretty good but not "old enough" to be the default browser :P
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

After using Chrome for a while, and then going back to Opera, I miss Opera :) my preferences are more suited to Opera, second to Firefox.
Though, all three are really nice to use, I'd still vote Firefox for default browser, something doesn't seem right with Chrome being default (something to do with the interface, but I can't pinpoint what)
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I've been playing around with Chrome and really like it for the most part. The biggest complaint that I have is that the ad-blocking extensions available for Chrome don't work well enough for me. In particular I hate that I can't block the "sponsored links" in GMail; Firefox's Adblock Plus gets rid of them just fine. I don't think it would be a good idea to make Chrome the default browser in Linux Mint at this time, but overall it's a nice and interesting browser. I'll keep it installed because I'm interested to see how it develops.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”