mint 64bit fsck still running when logged in

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gazza

mint 64bit fsck still running when logged in

Post by gazza »

when LM8 64bit boots, it doesn't stop when it's doing an fsck on my partitions, it goes strait to the login prompt, and I only know it's fsck'ing a partition because conky tells me fsck.ext3 is running, OR I go to a mounted partition and find it's not there.

This is an issue as some of my apps use data from my data partitions and if they arn't mounted, I have obvious problems.

First question, is this normal behaviour now? Second, if not , is there a way to fix it so it halts during boot until it has finished the fsck, and mounts etc like it used to..?

I have no idea if this is related in any way with my mouse/keyboard lockup in previous post. Though do note that even when there is no fsck check, it still locks up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: mint 64bit fsck still running when logged in

Post by Husse »

Definitely not right
Seems like a bad install - did you check the md5sum and burned slowly
There may be errors even if you manage to install
gazza

Post by gazza »

yep , did an md5sum and it's the same as posted at linuxmint.com

But forgot to mention above, that I am not running the generic kernel, if you have read my posts before, you will know that I can't get on the net with the generic kernel. So am using a 2.6.31.1 kernel.

The issue may be a problem with that kernel, and in the short term, now that I am aware of it, I will keep an eye on it. I intend to upgrade my kernel at every opportunity until both this issue, and my mouse/keyboard issue are resolved (I hope it is a kernel issue).

Thanks for your interest Husse, but don't put a lot of effort into it unless others crop up with the same problem. I usually hit the obscure problems that few others come across, must be somethin I did as a kid :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK - just one remark
if you have read my posts before
Do you honestly think I remember who has posted what?
Just look at the number of my posts :)
Seriously I always need a link (or two) :)
gazza

Post by gazza »

Sorry Husse , my bad.

This issue really isn't related to my real problem, so I made a seperate thread for it.

My main problem:-
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=38111

Thank you for taking the time to look :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”