avant-window-navigator loading nicely

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willxtreme

avant-window-navigator loading nicely

Post by willxtreme »

Did you ever had an annoying white square from awn that would appear each time your system loads. Well, I'm still using awn and I don't get that anymore thanks to............awn's testing branch that is less buggy than the stable :lol:

Awn 0.3.9 makes me love my system even more 8)

Hope someone who ditched awn for gnome-do's docky or cairo-dock will go back to it if the weird loading was your only issue with awn :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintnoob

Re: avant-window-navigator loading nicely

Post by mintnoob »

I was just looking for a dock to try. How do you download/install the new AWN? I give it a whirl.
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

1)Mint Menu>Software Sources
2)Under the tab "Other Software", click on add and put ppa:awn-testing/ppa
3)Open terminal and write sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-trunk
4)You can additionally install the extras with
sudo apt-get install awn-applets-c-core-trunk awn-applets-c-extras-trunk awn-applets-python-core-trunk awn-applets-python-extras-trunk python-awn-extras-trunk
5) Enjoy :D
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Thanks. Just installed it and seems to work good.

Can you give some howto's on the settings you recommend?
willxtreme

Post by willxtreme »

The Evolution

First of all I got to tell you that I used to like KDE mainly for the widgets, yes the widgets lol! Thought my desktop was so cool and all :lol:

Then when Helena's main edition was out, I basically ditched Gloria-KDE for it. The problem I had was that I wanted to have a nice looking desktop like the one I had in KDE. Then I heard about screenlets & desklets. I gave it a try and bingo I had a nice looking desktop again but this time under GNOME (d^.^)b

The thing is I'm a simple guy who wants a nice looking desktop but I wanted to keep it simple.
I went toward simplicity \(^o^)/ with awn and that's it :lol: . Allright done with my history lol

For awn's settings, let's say it's really up to your tastes but I'll share mine with you :D
========Preferences==========
-Size of icons: leave it to 48
-Style: curved
-Behavior: Panel mode
-Icon effects: I leave it to simple because the integrated graphic card with my laptop isn't that great lol but if you have a nice video card, go for better :D
-Position on the screen centered
-Leave Expand unchecked
-Check start automatically
=======Task Manager=========
I've checked "Display launchers only
Then you can add the launchers you want, in my case one to my home folder (nautilus /home/will), one for my browser(chromium-browser), a text editing program(gedit), a music program(rhythmbox), a graphic program(gimp), a burning program(brasero), a program to create websites(wined dreamweaver :lol: ), one to manage my ipod (gtkpod), one to Linux's #1 multimedia center (moovida), take screenshot (I like that function lol), a program to check network traffic (wireshark :twisted: )
<<<<<<<<<<Applets>>>>>>>>>>>>>
TO-DO LIST ROCKS!, Awn terminal for sure, show desktop, shutdown (but instead of shutdown you could put Awn Main Menu which is pretty nice and handy to launch other applications but you can make gnome's menu appear whenever you want by pressing Alt + F1), the time (I used to put weather instead of time that I'd get by typing date in Awn's terminal lol but it's cool to know the time at all times. I don't care much about the weather outside since in Canada, I already know that we're freeeeeeeeeeezing outside during winter)

If you use the multiple desktops, SlickSwitcher is nice to use. Instead of making a launcher to your home folder, you could instead use Places applet.
[To add Notification Area applet, you need to remove the notification area from gnome's default panel because you can only have one at the time]

So these are my settings. Have fun with awn 8)
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Is there a way to set the AWN dock to always be just above the panel?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Not to take anything away from your Widget worship, but . . .

If you want/like Widgets, look here >>> http://www.screenlets.org/index.php/Home

I don't use a Dock anymore, but when I did AWN was very nice and my recommended choice of Dock Apps.

AWN is also, in the Mint Repositories, accessible for install via Synaptic Manager.

Return to “Chat about Linux”