Where is the .iso file?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dummy

Where is the .iso file?

Post by dummy »

Hi everybody

Totally irritated by "Widows Fiesta" I decided to give Linux a try. On the search for a distribution I came across Linux Mint Cassandra which is given very good reviews in "DistroWatch.com".

I downloaded the full version from various locations. I always end up having a "WiRar" archive called LinuxMint-3.0.iso which, when I extract it with "WiRar", becomes a folder called LinuxMint-3.0. If I open it, there is no .iso file to burn in it. Where is it? I finally had the idea to burn the "WiRar" archive itself by using "BURNCDCC". However, the boot with the CD did not work (after burning, I could see the files on the CD as if it were a data CD - probably, I do something completely wrong here!?). Could somebody please help with this? Where is the .iso?

Also, now that I'm here, does anybody know whether Linux Mint Cassandra can work on "Widows Fiesta" at all (as running parallel - for starters)?

Finally, on the first screen when booting from the CD (amazingly enough, I made it so far!), which option do I have to choose: "starting Linux Mint" or "starting in secure graphic mode" (something like that) [they both led to the error message that the CD is not readable]?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance. Linux Mint seems to be a really good choice. I can't wait having it running.

Cheers,
dummy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

your cd is dead so no option will help you.

I have always downloaded an .iso.

could it be vista just saying it is a winrar file, since it does not know what to do with a .iso or winrar was installed after your burning software and has .iso associated with it.

what cd burning software are you using? probably wont make a difference.

it could have just been a bad burn or download.
checkout:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
dummy

Where is the .iso file?

Post by dummy »

Hi
thanks a lot for the answer.
I used burncdcc (see http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html) to burn the winrar archive folder (not extracted!) to the CD. however, i also have ImgBurn available (see http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download).
i don't think that my download is bad since i downloaded it from several websites and always had the same problem.
i just checked winrar: it says that iso is associated with it (although i installed it before the burning applications). should i uncheck it?
thanks again,
cheers,
dummy.

Boo wrote:your cd is dead so no option will help you.

I have always downloaded an .iso.

could it be vista just saying it is a winrar file, since it does not know what to do with a .iso or winrar was installed after your burning software and has .iso associated with it.

what cd burning software are you using? probably wont make a difference.

it could have just been a bad burn or download.
checkout:

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

un-checking it will just stop .iso files appearing automaticly as winrar files.
it wont break anything.

Do not extract the .iso with winrar.

just burn the iso at a slow speed, and check the md5 checksum. good burning software will give you the md5 checksum of the iso before burning to check if it was a good download.

dummy

Post by dummy »

Hello
Nothing changed after having unchecked the .iso association to winrar ... until I restarted my Dell Inspiron 6000 (Swiss German keyboard - maybe it matters ...) this morning. The file was shown as .iso file that I couldn't open to "look inside". Great! I burned it and made it much further when booting. However, I got that error message saying something like "x graphic thingy cannot be started". How to handle this? Also, how do you check the md5 checksum with Nero?
Thanks a lot :wink:
Cheers,
dummy.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I suppose you don't have Mint yet....
There should be an option in Nero, else you'll have to install some md5 checker - just google med5 and check
dummy

Post by dummy »

Hello

Thanks a lot for the answers. This forum is awesome ...

First, I organized Nero ... I made it burn the iso file (24 speed did not work but 16 was fine) but got a disc that I can "look inside". Is this already a sign that I did something wrong? I mean, should a correct burn of an image produce a CD that I cannot open as if it where a data CD?

Second, I downloaded some md5 checksum software from Nero (freeware). It told me that the generated hash md5 checksum is a4a19f1aabba1aca1eef66a22b3570c3. What is this supposed to tell me? I made the program compare this series of symbols with f56a393d8eb304a0647ec3b2fde8d207, which is what I found here, in this forum for linux mint. Obviously, the two don't match ... ?

Finally, I used the CD I burned with Nero, the one that looked like a data CD, to try another boot. I got the same several error messages: "modprbe: WARNING: Not loading blacklisted module ipv6" and then after a few OK's on the screen "Wrong chipset detected. 915 resolution only works ..." followed by more OK's and "Failed to start the X server" which was concluded by "mint@mint:~$" where I was supposed to type something in.

In conclusion, I'm totally confused. Nothing seems to work.

Would be thankful for further help ... :!: :oops: 8) :D

Cheers,
dummy.
dummy

Post by dummy »

hello
my name is still dummy ... :cry:
i typed the stuff in you suggested. however, this was a totally confusing experience. at some place (i have no idea how i got there) i could choose "dselect" or "aptitude". somehow i managed to try both. i was asked about packages and whether i want to install them or not ... completely confusing (i'm an absolut linux virgin!). at several points i couldn't perform everything because i needed "superadministrative privilegues" ... questions, questions, ...
how is this menu supposed to solve my "X server" problem (or whatever problem i have - is the disk OK?). what to do next?
you said there would be stuff to fill out. i didn't see a form ... what kind of information do i need? what is the stuff about? how to get there?
i'm sorry ...
please, some more hints would be really great.
cheers,
dummy :!: :roll:
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I have a dell inspiron 6000 and it just works fine and dandy right out of the box. but yours may have some hardware differences.

anyway when you boot the CD choose the second option "safe mode" or something.
this should fix your video (X server) problem.

if you still get the command prompt (mint@mint:~$) type:

sudo dpkg reconfigure xserver-xorg

if it does not prompt you then this points also to a bad CD.
it could still be a bad CD or download I fear. :(

antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

Boo wrote:I have a dell inspiron 6000 and it just works fine and dandy right out of the box.
Say Boo, I have the same computer. Do you have trouble connecting with a secured wireless?
dummy

Post by dummy »

... and the story goes on ...

OK, i burned the .iso again with another speed. the problem remains.

let me try to explain what happens in a little bit more detailed.
i always used the "secure graphic" option when booting from the CD.
also, it's not the case that i would get to the command line smoothly. rather, on the way there i'm asked whether i want to see some .log file because of the x server problem. then, after having seen it, i'm asked whether i want to see a detailed x server output as well. finally, it says that the x server is disabled and that i have to restart some GDM (whatever that is) to configure something correctly. THEN i get to the command line. i type your stuff in which creates a line of text saying that "dkpg" needs an action option. then, there are some options displayed ("type dkpg ... for ..." - mostly help stuff).

also, the .iso file on my desktop is now a symbol indicating that it is associated to Nero.

could it make a difference if i download the file after disabling any kind of association from any program to .iso files?

i'm starting to feel bad for asking all these questions ... maybe, i should bye the CD ...

maybe i should also tell you a bit about the story of my laptop:
first, i had WinXP installed on it (a german version). due to a horrible crash i had to reinstall it (an english version). unfortunately, i decided to try vista at this point (english too). maybe, because i bought the laptop in switzerland could cause some language problems ...? also, my keyboard is not english so special characters and the letter z and y are changed.

cheers,
dummy.

i wonder how it feels to use linux mint ... really ...
facade47

Post by facade47 »

Well, your CD is fine, as the md5sum you provided matches the one on the Linux Mint download page under Cassandra full edition. As long as the cd's you burn have that exact md5sum, they will all be the same no matter if you burn it a hundred times, or buy the cd ;) (it tells you none of the contents were edited and/or destroyed after downloading or burning them..)
As for it running, it shouldn't matter what's already on it or what was previously installed.. all that matters is what hardware you're running it on..

Post what it tells you in that .log file you see before it asks you to see the detailed output... that should tell us at least something about what's going wrong =P

Don't feel bad about asking questions, that's what we're here for :D
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

@antiquexray
i use wpa2 encryption with my wireless (i used to use wep). I use the gnome network manager applet to manage my network devices. my wireless card is a intel 2200bg.

@dummy
have you tried to use the normal boot option with booting mint CD?

the xserver stuff about logs etc, it should ask you if you want to configure it, you can say yes here and let it reconfigure it self.
then try ctl-alt-backspace, or sudo gnome-session to restart the server.

dont worry about the association stuff.

ask away, or are you a chicken. :lol:

i just got vista on a new pc but i have not burnt anything yet.
I cant see languages and keyboards doing any bad but it is MS.

Husse

Post by Husse »

I've just read this through and I can almost feel how you feel dummy - but don't feel like one. Linux and Windows are different and the road forward is different in each.
A few points
When you have the md5sum computed from your download compare it to what you find on the download page or sometimes in a document also downloaded. This is to check the integrity of the download - you don't do that often in Windows.
Your CD is probably OK but the burn speed to use is always the slowest possible - I always use 2x
You could use the advice in the howto in the wiki:
However sometimes you end up in a "busy box" if you do that and then you have no use for the solution there.
In the livecd sudo does not work as later, because you have not set a password yet
But if you end up at "mint@mint:~$" this is a good starting point.
Write the following commands
chroot /root nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf Note: there has to be a space between chroot and /root and also spaces between /root and nano as well as between nano and /etc. Please note that the X in X11 must be a major X

This will let you edit your graphics configuration file. Using the arrow keys scroll down to the heading called "Device". Under this it should have "Driver" to the left and beside it the driver in inverted commas, like so:
Section "Device"

Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT]"
Driver "nv"

EndSection

You have another card of course
Change driver to "vesa"
Once you've done this press Ctrl+x then y then enter to exit the text editor

This will bring you back to the command line, simply type:

exit

And off you go...
Note - it must be exit!
Anything else will make you continue to be root and that's no good.
I hope this will do it
dummy

Post by dummy »

IT'S WORKING !!!!!

all i had to do was not to choose the secure graphic mode. this brought me automatically to the desktop of linux mint. i send this message using firefox in linux mint. awesome. thanks a lot guys.

since it has been mentioned by antiquexray above let me bring it up too: how can i connect to a (secure) wireless network (i'm using a cable at the moment)? also, i'm a bit surprised that latex\miktex are not preinstalled (or did i just not find it?) but that will be a simple task i guess.

linux mint feels great.

my next task will be to fully install it (maybe after some plying around) and, thus, i'll be able to say astalaVISTA baby - no teardrops at all.
however, to do this, do i have to download software for all drivers?

okay,
thanks a lot again.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

dummy wrote:...antiquexray above let me bring it up too: how can i connect to a (secure) wireless network (i'm using a cable at the moment)?
Well, I've a couple days off and I plan on trying the wireless thing. Perhaps you and I working with the members of this outstanding community will solve the problem. I've a couple ideas...so to summerize, if you figure it out, let me know, and I'll do the same :D
dummy

Post by dummy »

hi antiquexray

sounds like a good idea. i'll try to download some driver(s) ... also for my swiss keyboard ... special characters are a pain in the neck at the moment.

p.s. regarding latex, i found the editor kile for installation - awesome ...
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

if you are using latex checkout Lyx.

dummy

Post by dummy »

I know Lyx. However, it feels very "wordish". Also, I don't know whether it is so useful when it comes to tasks like writing slides using the beamer class in connection with pgf/tikz, for example (see http://www.fauskes.net/pgftikzexamples/tag/gnuplot/ - totally beautiful stuff ...). I might give it another try sometimes ...

cheers,
dummy.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

alright I admit i know bugger all about Latex and Lyx.

but I am very interested in consistent document formatting etc.
once you have done lots and/or large engineering docs you will know how crap word is for formatting, consistency and templates that no one sets up properly. Then there is DOORS...good, bad, and ugly.

I saw Lyx via distowatch and have ment to give it a go, it is installed but I have been trying to get my wife to use it. lazy I know.

Return to “Installation & Boot”