[resolved] skype input volume resets to (near) mute

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Timmi

[resolved] skype input volume resets to (near) mute

Post by Timmi »

I use the "Sound Preferences" that is by default in the Favorites menu, to increase the Input Volume to 3/4 (very amplified) of the scrollbar, so that people can hear me nice and clear in Skype.

Only, if I close that utility, sometimes it will reset the sound input to near zero and people can't hear me and hang up before I have a chance to change it.

It has done this consistently after a reboot, and on occasion when I change a sound setting in Pidgin, and now, without Pidgin even running, has reset the sound input volume to zero simply by closing the "Sound Preferences" Utility.

Why is it not retaining my preferences... am I doing something wrong?
Or is there a way to fix this please?

(WORKAROUND FOUND)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: input volume resets to (near) mute

Post by emorrp1 »

skype > options > sound: deselect "allow skype to adjust mixer settings"
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

I found a workaround (doesn't resolve skype not doing this correctly, but makes everything usable):
uncheck the box in Skype 'allow skype to adjust volume mixer levels'
for some reason, this feature is not reliable, and user whould adjust these preferences manually via the volume controls found in favorite applications, and not via the skype interface.
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

emorrp1 wrote:skype > options > sound: deselect "allow skype to adjust mixer settings"
Thank you... only, I'm not sure it is 'solved'. Only that I found a way to make everything work, by disabling some functionality. Sorry to nitpick... I'd rather let the experts decide if this constitutes a resolution.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

with skype being a proprietary application, there's nothing else can be done.
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

It's not solved. Here is the workaround that will make Skype work reliably until this little sound bug is fixed:

0) (I'm adding this "step-0" just in case you have a problem installing it from the "software manager")
My Mint8 Software Manager did not allow me to install skype after a complete reinstall (had a yellow check box to the left of it), I went to the skype website to download and install it skype com/download/skype/linux/choose/ selecting "Debian Lenny" and then install.

1)
Launch Skype, click on the little blue "S" icon in the bottom left, selected Options (or just press Ctrl+O in skype), in the list it presents you, go to Sound Devices, un-check the box labelled "allow skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels". After this, go to step 2 (even if you have already done step-2: because if you tried to make a call after that, the setting will have been reset by Skype).

2)
Now, adjust the microphone input volume to amplified (approx.) +75% past the unamplified mark (or 175% of level-1 non-amplified if you're a mathematician), using the "Sound" item that is in the Mint Favorites Menu by default (click on "Input" tab, then slide the slider 3/4 to the right).

If you use your computer's speakers, at this level, it will probably send your caller's voice back into the mic, giving them an echo. You can play around with this slider until you find a satisfactory level for your mic and your caller, sliding it between +60 and +90% range, I'd expect. Of course, if you use a headset, you won't have the feeding-back sound echo problem.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

So let me get this straight - a week later you post a "workaround" that's exactly what I told you a week ago, then turn the volume up and still complain it's not solved. I'll give you a clue: a "feature" that doesn't work properly for *anybody* (if it does work for anyone, let me know) is not a feature, it's a bug. The solution is to disable this bug.
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

emorrp1 wrote:So let me get this straight - a week later you post a "workaround" that's exactly what I told you a week ago, then turn the volume up and still complain it's not solved. I'll give you a clue: a "feature" that doesn't work properly for *anybody* (if it does work for anyone, let me know) is not a feature, it's a bug. The solution is to disable this bug.
Correct.
I did NOT receive an email that there had been a response to my post.
I did not see your post.
And I returned here just as a courtesy to let all know what I found out... and yes, when I did that, I did overlook your post.
I'm very sorry it didn't catch my attention.
I'm thankful that despite the frustration over the lack of attention that I have caused, that you are still kind enough to share your expertise.
Have a nice day.
;-)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Fair enough, sorry I got a bit exasperated that day :oops:

Return to “Beginner Questions”