Skype and Mint 8; a skype version that works for me

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Skype and Mint 8; a skype version that works for me

Post by pdc_2 »

I installed Mint 8 yesterday, and looked to Skype today to install it; I went to the Skype site, and was concerned to see a "beta" was all I could get; I downloaded a .deb version and installed it by accepting the offer to install as it was to be downloaded;

the install was fine; I could add an icon to the bottom panel:

however;

the only sound options were pulseaudio and nil else;

(as compared to previous versions which had many options to select)

as there was only one option, I could not configure it for my usb handset; so I used synaptic to delete that version;

and I went hunting to find any sources of the older version; I found this; looked reputable;

http://www.wuala.com/TaxiDriver/Linux-D ... eb?lang=en

and have downloaded it and it seems to run fine; creates the appropriate entry in the Menu and I can then add an icon to the bottom panel;

and I can configure my usb handset so I will let others explore the beta for me

Perhaps if I make clear that this version of Skype was the prior one; and I had it installed on Mint 6 and it worked well
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Skype and Mint 8; a skype version that works for me

Post by emorrp1 »

AFAIK the linux version has always had the "beta" label and even if it hasn't, v2.1 is more stable than the previous v2.0 as it fixes a lot of bugs. If pulse is installed, it just lists pulse, and you configure your devices through the pulse audio device chooser (as this makes it available to all linux apps).

I feel obliged to issue a HUGE WARNING to anyone discovering this thread: if you download a .deb from the internets and install it, you're giving it root privileges to do anything, so you really have to be certain it's a reputable source (like skype.com) and that you're not being phished.
Amos

Post by Amos »

indeed I would just get it from the repo no more .deb for me :)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Unfortunately Amos, the medibuntu repo no longer hosts skype, so you now have to get it from the website.
buddhaflow

Post by buddhaflow »

emorrp1 wrote:Unfortunately Amos, the medibuntu repo no longer hosts skype, so you now have to get it from the website.
Just curious, do you know why it isn't? I found this so convenient, and possible the #1 selling point of Mint: It "just worked" right out of the box. Living abroad, I NEED skype, more than any other single app other than firefox. I know you could install the medibuntu repositories anywhere easily, but I liked telling my dad "just pop the CD in, install it, it'll give you everything you need."

Why did they drop Skype form Medibuntu? Do you have a post about this from someone who helped make this decision?

Return to “Software & Applications”