Type of Static Sound Coming From Speakers with Mint 8

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrMint

Type of Static Sound Coming From Speakers with Mint 8

Post by MrMint »

This started not too long ago, I thought maybe this was some kind of glitch that would go away but it hasn't.

I thought maybe this could be my sound card going bad, the jack or the speakers but when I put in another Distro or 2, the static went away ( a pop snuck in but nothing like it's become in Mint recently )

Since the way I configured audio in Mint has been changed ( from 7 to 8 ) I was wondering is there something I have to play with in there, I tried lowering and raising the volumes in the preferences, but nothing when you put the levels to be listenable, same thing.

It seems everything is now as pulseaudio ( before on 7, I was able to configure Skype prefrences * audio * to be my soundcard, I don't see that anymore )

Thanks for any help... :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Type of Static Sound Coming From Speakers with Mint 8

Post by Husse »

More facts are needed
- please read these simple rules
MrMint

Post by MrMint »

Husse wrote:More facts are needed
- please read these simple rules

Soundcard - Soundblaster Audigy2
OS - Mint 8 (gnome)
No error messages ( Just the static sound )

Before in ( Skype for example ) I was able to select the ALSA option, in Mint 8 I don't see it. Don't know if this could be the potential prob?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't use Helena (yet - I never get the time needed to make the change and my Gloria works too well )
You are right - there's a change
Open a terminal and execute alsamixer and you get just that
I think that maybe some input channel is open and catches some noise of sorts
Close input and see what happens - sorry hear what happens :)
MrMint

Post by MrMint »

Husse wrote:I don't use Helena (yet - I never get the time needed to make the change and my Gloria works too well )
You are right - there's a change
Open a terminal and execute alsamixer and you get just that
I think that maybe some input channel is open and catches some noise of sorts
Close input and see what happens - sorry hear what happens :)

I'll try that but quick question, I'm not a pro at using the terminal, :? How would I go about executing it? :)

Thanks
Husse

Post by Husse »

Key in alsamixer + "Enter"
MrMint

Post by MrMint »

Husse wrote:Key in alsamixer + "Enter"

It worked...

I went into it, saw the levels, and played with them and the crackle went away.

Weird how this happened, isn't it? I find the wireless problem & this prob off only because I'm using Mint since Ver. 7 and with that version, there was not one problem. Hmm

Well, just wanted to post a reply that the solution worked for me, thanks again : )
dacree

Post by dacree »

I had exactly the same problem with my Audigy 2 pro ZS. The sound interface changes in Helena are not friendly at all. Previous versions (been using mint since Elyssa) and never had an issue. The interface is difficult to use and makes it difficult to find the settings for individual levels. Where Mint used to just work, now it's making me work. I understand that this is the upstream sound interface, but Mint has bucked the upstream trend before and dropping to the terminal to fix something I used to could do from the GUI is a major step back (imho)
My newest problem is the Optical in on the break out box no longer works. Looks like I'll be downgrading back to Gloria.
Let's get back to a sensible sound interface. There is no need for this confusing fussy one.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think we have to do something for the next release unless Ubuntu fixes pulse audio and it's interface
There are so may problems with Karmic so this was not looked into

Return to “Hardware Support”