Firefox problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coolrat33
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox problems

Post by coolrat33 »

Hi

I've been using MINT for several weeks now. Impressed and I'm mainly using Linux now. Occasionally I must still used Windows

I followed instructions on the UBUNTU formums on how to share Thunderbird and Firefox data between Windows and Ubuntu.

In Windows, I installed "Ext2 Installable File System For Windows" that allowed me to access Linux partitions from Windows. I moved the Thunderbird and Firefox profiles from Windows to the correct location in my Linux partition.

After the move, the Firefox and Thunderbird in Windows were fine. Thunderbird in Linux works too.
BUT Firefox in Linux would not start. If it does, it freezes and complains that its running in the background. I tried removing and reinstalling Firefox, but this hasn't worked. It still won't start- a message states that its running already.

I hope to repair Firefox and be able to use the bookmarks and passwords from Windows.

How can I resolve this problem? Thanks :D !!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

sounds like a lock (or pid) file somewhere in the firefox profile is present so when fire fox starts it sees the lock file (indicating it is already running) and gives an error message.
this lock file could be left from windows.
did you close ff before shutting down windows?

I have found a file called lock that is a link to 127.0.1.1:+7491 is created and destroyed on mint when ff is started and stopped.
It is in your home directory
/home/user_name/.mozilla/firefox/cmga7d9o.default/lock

the cmga7d9o is gernerated at install of ff i think so that number may change.

so before starting ff in mint look for the lock file and delete it.

then start ff.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

KrazyPenguin wrote: you might have to delete the firefox xxxx.dafault directory which might include that "locked" file"
Overkill :shock:

It's absolutely sufficient to remove the "lock" file .... and not the entire directory as you suggested! :roll:

Return to “Software & Applications”