Dual booting Snow Leopard and Mint on a standard Intel PC

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rob2uk

Dual booting Snow Leopard and Mint on a standard Intel PC

Post by rob2uk »

After fighting to get Snow Leopard running alongside Mint for several weeks (on and off), I finally cracked it...

The problem lay with GRUB not being able to boot OS X, and Chameleon not being able to boot Mint.

Is there any interest in a howto?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gn2

Re: Dual booting Snow Leopard and Mint on a standard Intel PC

Post by gn2 »

I wouldn't have thought that would be considered a welcome how-to as it would violate the Apple EULA....?
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

You do realise that legally the Apple EULA is unenforceable, right?
breaker

Post by breaker »

Yes, please, how did you dual boot? The bsd option for grub2?
gn2

Post by gn2 »

rob2uk wrote:You do realise that legally the Apple EULA is unenforceable, right?
So you've researched the legalities of the Apple EULA as applied in all countries where Apple sells it's computer products.
I'm impressed.
Maybe Psystar should have hired you to fight their case?
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?stor ... 5225827172
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

gn2 wrote:I wouldn't have thought that would be considered a welcome how-to as it would violate the Apple EULA....?
According to Apple yes it violates their EULA. That said in my humble opinion no agreement actually exists since you are not asked if your agree at the time of purchase, nor are you asked to sign an agreement at the time of purchase. More to the point Apple is never going to take a single end user to court over this. They are really only interested in stopping companies like Psystar. I really don't think anyone here has anything to worry about if he posts dual boot instructions for OSX and Mint.
jsplicer

Re: Dual booting Snow Leopard and Mint on a standard Intel P

Post by jsplicer »

I now know why it is like asking someone to have root canal, when I even mention big brother a_PP_el in the same sentence as anything other than using it on their over priced equipment.

They don't know it yet but will find out in the not so distant future that people are sick of buying their over priced new hardware every 2 years just to get their newer OS to run on it.

I have Linux Mint on 1 seperate HD with grub2 as the bootloader, and Snow leo on another drive with Chameleon for the bootloader. I googled around for dual booting and whether or not I should delete one loader or the other.

Well I read that for grub2 to find any other drives and mount them you have to run 'sudo update grub' providing you have grub 2. Then upon restart if your grub drive is set as the first drive, it will give you a choice of whether to load Linux Mint or Mac OS in 32 or 64 bit mode.

The problem with that is that when it loads Mac OS the screen resolution is all off, the screen is an inch smaller all around the monitor. I can't make any changes in the monitors settings, also it reads my CPU as a 4gHz cpu single core, not the Core2Quad 2.66GHZ that it is. In short the DSDT file is not being recognised when booted from grub. A custom DSDT was created when I instlaled chameleon. Now if I go into the BIOS and set up my Mac drive as the first in order it will load up Mac OS just fine and everything will work just fine, the only problem is when I do that...Chameleon will not recognize or load my linux mint drive, it wont give me a choice and when Mac OS loads it says there is an unredognizable disk.

I am sick to death of A_ppel and its mission to control the world in everything. Now they want to put a chip in your sneaker and tell you when you need a new pair, (I kid you not) God rest SJ he was a god man but never went this far.

I moved to Linuz when A_ppel decided to drop security updates for Snow Leo and refused to sell me Mountain Lion, saying my hardware was incompatible. Bull dung!

If anyone DOES have a way to dual boot both of my OSes and have them both work I would be so greatful to hear it, I am sick of hearing about eula agreements. I always paid for my OSes. And have been buying Mac products since Mac OS8, and a 6400, before the G3 came out. They should just sell their OS and do like Microsoft does if it is for a home builder you supply your own tech support for the OS. But they are not happy with just selling the OS they want you to pay for their over priced hardware too.

Return to “Installation & Boot”