Clean install from live CD--after updates nada

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aviator33

Clean install from live CD--after updates nada

Post by Aviator33 »

Newbie here...I installed LM8 from a live CD and everything was working great. I adjusted a lot of my settings to where I wanted them (including power saving functions). Then I tried to install the suggested 134 updates. The updates seemed to be loading normally but slowly-- I left the room while they loaded. When I returned the computer looked like it went into hibernation. I moved the mouse, nothing happened. The keyboard also did not work at all. I eventually had to press the power button to turn off the computer. Upon rebooting, I received the dual boot screen between XP and Mint and naturally chose Mint. The LM logo started for about 30 seconds and then I received the following msg:

Fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16
/dev/sda 5: Clean, 123755/1548288 files, 1909931/6183009 blocks
*starting init crypto disks... [OK]

Nothing happens after that msg. I ran the recovery option and it looked like it fixed some things, but at the end of the page it contained the same Fsck msg and would freeze on that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Josh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
breaker

Re: Clean install from live CD--after updates nada

Post by breaker »

Try booting to your Live CD and running fsck on your Mint partitions.
Aviator33

Post by Aviator33 »

Thanks--I'll try that.
Aviator33

Post by Aviator33 »

I'm not quite sure if I'm running fsck correctly. In the Gnome terminal I typed "fsck" and received the msg "fsck from util_linux-ng 2.16" and nothing else happens. I'm able to look at files from my original install from the 24 GB I set aside for Mint. I'm using the Live CD right now to write this, but I'd rather be working from my install. Thanks for any help :) .
Josh

Return to “Installation & Boot”