DVD Playback

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

DVD Playback

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have Mint 8 installed and unlike Mint 7 I am unable to play commercial dvd's on either Totem or VLC. They do however play with Gnome M Player.

I have checked that libdvdcss2 and gstreamer are installed. Can anyone suggest why they are not working please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: DVD Playback

Post by Midnighter »

What happens when you open a disc manually in one of these apps? What errors do you get?
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

No response at all from Totem. It just sits there and has to be forced close. No error report. VLC now opens and plays one of the dvds OK. Very strange.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Hmm, I reinstalled last night ( I was bored :P ), and updated system, then loaded a DVD into my drive. System offered to open it with Totem right-away. Plays fine. I really am unsure of what to suggest, have never experienced the prob you are describing, and at a loss of what to suggest. Perhaps back up and reinstall, something might be amiss with your install? It can happen on occasion, and you may simply be unlucky.
jonegomes

Post by jonegomes »

Hello everyone,
Today I tried to get my wii set-up for DVD playback and have been far from successful, I have DVDX installed, I installed the latest version of mplayer and also tried several other versions including .75, without the ios202 installed all versions of the mplayer load just fine but obviously don't do DVD playback, I have tried installing ios202 over and over again and it installs properly, and to no avail does it work, I have tried installing it with DVDX installed and installed, I have used title deleter every time before I try to reinstall it, the first time I ran the install it failed because I used ios36 which apparently didn't have fake sign, so i switched to ios249 and haven't had any problems installing it at all, I am using the newest version of the DVD and USB support installer to do this with as well, with ios202 installed all versions of mplayer freeze at the initial loading screen and lock-up my wii, without ios202 installed it loads fine and doesn't lock up the wii. I would like to get this set up for DVD use and also want to be able to boot up gc backups in the near future as well. I have also tried both off-line and online installs of this.
Anyone got any idea what to do?
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Have not done a full re-install but tried removing and installing Totem again with no effect. Installed SM Player and that plays every time. Strange!!!

Tried to run the live cd and had exactly the same problem with Totem. Totem plays fine on Mint 7 but that is an older version 2.26.1 with Gstreamer 0.10.22.

Is it possible to go back to the older version? If so how do I down get it?
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Update.

Following the latest update to VLC 1.0.2 it is now playing dvd's well, Totem still has a problem.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

oh wow thats wierd... I've never had a problem like that with VLC are you sure you have the lattest version of VLC?????

I have the VLC Version that came with the Linux Mint 8 Iso and I've yet to encounter such a problem. (Not sure wich version number that is)

So far I watched THE Matrix DVD Mint offered me wich program/Application to use to play I picked VLC and it worked fine in that.

Linux Mint 8 Helena
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

The problem is not VLC as my last post but with Totem.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

So then use VLC since it works silly. xD

I don't know what it could be. I haven't had such a problem. Then again I didn't watch a DVD in totem. I think I was watching part of the matrix in Gnome Player but then I switched into VLC becuase I wanted to change the Aspect Ratio of the screen.

Not sure if I wrote it right@gnome player so sorry if that came out wrong :s I'm not in Linux mint right now so I can't check the spelling on that spelling. :roll:
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Sorry, no idea what to suggest regarding the totem issue, it's not misbehaving for me, so have no experience with the problem you describe. Things work fine for me. Asides from possibly backing your system up, and doing a complete format/reinstall, to see if the prob persists with a new install, I have nothing useful to add. But I have seen a number of times (from other posts/issues) that sometimes probs just crop up in certain installs, and a complete reinstall has no such problems. *shrug*

Return to “Sound”